Computer and BBQ wondering if anyone has tried this and if they know how to get it working

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!
So I am working on a project with a very old laptop. An old Compaq Presario CQ57. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and then I upgraded the ram from 2GB to 8GB. Which actually is making it run a lot better then it was. So I added an Android emulator called Bluestacks to the computer to run the BBQ Go app. The laptop has bluetooth but I am not sure how to turn it on so I can connect to my inkbird wireless thermometer. Anyone ever do this? The plan is hopefully to get it so I can run the thermometer off my laptop as my phone is a pos and I want to eventually hook the green mountain grill app up to the laptop as well and upgrade to the wifi controller to run my GMG Daniel Boone off the app through the laptop. Then hopefully add a Jim Bowie down the road.

I know I could get a new phone and skip all this but I am bored and I like the idea of having it setup so I can check temps and control my pellet grill from the laptop and take notes on the computer as well. I figure just get it setup so I can access it all in one and take notes.

I am using an old laptop as if I accidentally screw something up it was just an old laptop gathering dust. The ram upgrade improved how fast web pages and stuff loads though. Actually it is probably very usable as a netbook now.

So has anyone done this by upgrading an old laptop and using Bluestacks to use the BBQ Go app and got it to hook to the inkbird wireless thermometer?

Well it looks like the drivers don't exist to get the original bluetooth working. I did see some external bluetooth adapters that plug in the usb drive cheap. I am going to order one and see if I can get it working that way.

Old...LOL I work with Win 95 base robots everyday :p

Yeah its old for home use lol.

I actually work with microfilm. 16mm film. Sometimes that stuff melts and has vinegar syndrome. Now that stuff is old.

I kept all these old laptops from when I was in college and well I started messing with trying to get them working during the pandemic to keep me busy. I hated to see this old laptop go to waste after doing some work to it. So made some upgrades and now I am trying to find a use for it. I figure if I can get it working and figure out a way to power my pellet grill and add a second pellet grill then I can use the laptop to run it all.

Back