Competition trailer question

Wow did not realize how heavy plywood is. I just bought it so I can always just take it apart and return it. That's no good. Oh well nice to dream just going to have to wait until we can get a better one a few years down the road.

Although what about just mounting an UDS to the frame? I have a drum that has never been built because I realized I have no way to move it. Would that still be too heavy? Just curious.

I would say probably just going to return it as I don't think it will serve a purpose.

1st, of course it will hold a drum smoker...probably several and some other gear as well..

I know it has been mentioned to you in the past about " doing it right" or "its not a cheap hobby" etc. I am going to give you the best advice that I possibly can regarding competition bbq and going as cheap as possible, walk away before you get in too deep. Enjoy the back yard with friends and family. There is NOTHING cheap about competition bbq and you will (most likely) NEVER get your money back !

Good luck. BE SAFE !

1st, of course it will hold a drum smoker...probably several and some other gear as well..

I know it has been mentioned to you in the past about " doing it right" or "its not a cheap hobby" etc. I am going to give you the best advice that I possibly can regarding competition bbq and going as cheap as possible, walk away before you get in too deep. Enjoy the back yard with friends and family. There is NOTHING cheap about competition bbq and you will (most likely) NEVER get your money back !

Good luck. BE SAFE !
This right here is the best advice on here. Being cheap don't win. Most teams spend more on one brisket than what was spent on this trailer frame.

Good luck. BE SAFE !

Yeah I hear what your saying but I think I may already be in to deep. I am addicted to be honest I am a bbq addict. Especially after the last comp we got a first place in ribs and well I am sucked in for sure. Nothing like getting applause for barbecue. After a lot of hard work and well plenty of disappointment it made it worth it and trust me I know I am way in the negative in comp bbq.

I really am not looking to get my money back. If I was looking to make money I would have already stopped. It's a hobby and I love it.

My wife says two years and we can get a truck. We got to pay bills off to where we feel comfortable dropping serious cash on this. Other things come first for now but down the road I am sure we will have a much better set up. We just aren't going to go into debt for it.

If other things come first right now, why waste money on a bottom dollar POS trailer frame that is completely impractical? That's a good $200 down the drain.

I'll have an 8x16 enclosed trailer that will be for sale at the end of the season in the $4200 range. I pull it with a diesel pickup and wouldn't think of using anything less.

C'mon Travis. Rusty already said that he is probably going to return the trailer as he is now finding out it isn't going to be sufficient for his needs. I'm sure that when he bought it he felt it would be fine as an entry-level trailer.

As my history has shown, I'm all for participating in "bash Rusty" day here at the Brethren, but this isn't the right topic for that :becky:

I am not bashing anyone so don't take this the wrong way I just was taught in a class I took there are easy ways to make a low grade brisket just as good as wagyu. DivaQ uses select and I am not kidding. She does do a bit extra to it but man I am so glad as long as she is right I don't have to drop that kind of coin on a brisket.

I think I would cry dropping that on a brisket. To rich for my blood that is for sure.
If it works for you it makes perfect sense but just glad I only drop about $35-45 when I cook one sometimes $60 but prices have been dropping as of late.

I'm not going to say that Diva Q doesn't use Select briskets when competing, but I would be SHOCKED if she did. She probably cooks Select at home, or maybe as a backup brisket, but with the time and money she invests (she traveled 30k miles ... maybe it was kilometers ... nope, think it was miles for comps last year) it wouldn't make sense to try saving a few hundred $$ by going with a lesser brisket

At my last comp I used a $47 prime brisket from Costco and scored 168. I didn't feel like I was a good enough cook to justify buying a SRF brisket at that time, and am happy with my results considering.

As you still plan on competing in some pro events next year, I would block out any thoughts about possibly being GC or RGC. Cook whatever brisket you can afford, and cook it to the best of your ability. Concentrate your time and money in practicing your other meats to death, and become extremely skilled at them. Just remember, the check for placing in a category isn't adjusted based on the cost of the meat for the category.

How many pounds of chicken could you practice cooking (both by cost and time) vs even 1 brisket

I'm not going to say that Diva Q doesn't use Select briskets when competing, but I would be SHOCKED if she did. She probably cooks Select at home, or maybe as a backup brisket, but with the time and money she invests (she traveled 30k miles ... maybe it was kilometers ... nope, think it was miles for comps last year) it wouldn't make sense to try saving a few hundred $$ by going with a lesser brisket

At my last comp I used a $47 prime brisket from Costco and scored 168. I didn't feel like I was a good enough cook to justify buying a SRF brisket at that time, and am happy with my results considering.

As you still plan on competing in some pro events next year, I would block out any thoughts about possibly being GC or RGC. Cook whatever brisket you can afford, and cook it to the best of your ability. Concentrate your time and money in practicing your other meats to death, and become extremely skilled at them. Just remember, the check for placing in a category isn't adjusted based on the cost of the meat for the category.

How many pounds of chicken could you practice cooking (both by cost and time) vs even 1 brisket

Your telling me I about chit myself when she said it didn't make a difference.
She said it was only the past few years. I swear to god I am not lying about it. She cooks select brisket. She has to do a bit to it but as long as she was telling the truth in her tell all class then that is true. I have no reason to believe she was not being truthful. Not saying she couldn't be lying but I very much doubt it and I tend to believe her as I tasted it and it was darn good brisket.

If she comes to your area take her class and see what I am talking about first hand.

Not to get off topic but I got to say her class made me chit as I would say a lot of it goes against conventional practice but who am I to question?

How did this thread become about briskets? :confused:

TDuffy said that people cook briskets that cost more than $200 and well I was shocked and said I was taught that brisket grade doesn't matter by DivaQ and would cry if I had to spend that then DUBBAGA said he would be shocked if that was the case and well I agreed I chit my pants probably every time she spoke in her class.

Best darn money I have ever spent was her class.

Back