Competition trailer question

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!
Ok so we bought a small frame not very large at all. It's what we could buy with the prize money we won for ribs in WV.

I have been thinking about making it a small enclosed trailer but am unsure how tall I can make it and be able to safely tow it down the road.

The idea is to pack my smokers and supplies in the trailer to keep it in trailer or the trunk of our car. Then have the hatch come down and take out the smokers. Add a fold down prep area inside the trailer and somewhere to just stand inside if a storm kicks up. For lighting and electric I plan to just hang some work lights that have an outlet built in and run electrical cords from the inside out the door to outlets. I figure we will continue to use wash bins and heat our water with a portable burner and a pot for now.

We operate very small smokers and probably will at the most have two 14.5" WSMs, a 22.5" WSM and a 16" vision grills series m kamado.

I was thinking maybe 6' tall to the ceiling. Is that too tall for the small trailer?

Would I be better to just build sides on and not worry about enclosing it? You know just use it as extra space to haul the smokers and continue setting up a canopy and fold up prep tables.

http://m.harborfreight.com/870-lb-c...ailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42708.html

Thanks for your input.

I don't think it is worth trying to enclose, you just wouldn't have any room to work. I would put some sides and tiedowns on it to fit your equipment and then anchor your popup to one side of it. If you wanted, you could put a fold up worktop on the side so that you don't have to haul a separate table.

Don't do it. Work with what you have until you can upgrade. The money you will invest and still not be happy will make you hate BBQ. Get yourself a nice 10x10 easy up or a 10x20 carport for the weather.

I don't think it is worth trying to enclose, you just wouldn't have any room to work. I would put some sides and tiedowns on it to fit your equipment and then anchor your popup to one side of it. If you wanted, you could put a fold up worktop on the side so that you don't have to haul a separate table.

That's not a bad idea and probably way more doable too.

Don't do it. Work with what you have until you can upgrade. The money you will invest and still not be happy will make you hate BBQ. Get yourself a nice 10x10 easy up or a 10x20 carport for the weather.

Yeah I think you are right. We have a canopy that is fire proof which we used this past season. It's great except when a storm really kicks up bad. We had to break it down ASAP at the last contest which is how I wound up cutting ribs on the front seat of my buick.

I think probably just put down some boards and add sides to it with a fold up table on the side built in is a great idea.

To build the enclosure you envision, you would exceed the carrying capacity (870 lbs) of the trailer, and yet to add smoker's etc.

You might want to have some expanded metal welded to the floor of the trailer and then tie down to that.

Do yourself a favor and take the wife's bathroom scale and weigh all the equipment that you will carry and add it up. Go on the internet on how to weigh items greater than scale capacity.

If you exceed the trailer capacity, axels will bend and tires will ware and, depending on the overage, you could have a total failure of the trailer.

To build the enclosure you envision, you would exceed the carrying capacity (870 lbs) of the trailer, and yet to add smoker's etc.

You might want to have some expanded metal welded to the floor of the trailer and then tie down to that.

Do yourself a favor and take the wife's bathroom scale and weigh all the equipment that you will carry and add it up. Go on the internet on how to weigh items greater than scale capacity.

If you exceed the trailer capacity, axels will bend and tires will ware and, depending on the overage, you could have a total failure of the trailer.

Ok well thanks for answering definitly going to do that. I don't want to exceed the carrying capacity. I appreciate all the advice from everyone.

I don't know a whole lot about trailers since I have never owned one before.
I figured this little guy could get me a year or two until we can buy a truck and an enclosed trailer. Since we really are operating a very small team.

Worse come to worse I can fit the 14.5" WSMs in the trunk and just put the kamado on the trailer with the 22.5" WSM. As long as I can fit my WSM and kamado on the trailer then I am ok with that.

Would you even put sides on the trailer then or just expanded metal for a floor and strap it all down?

I would put a solid floor on it. Expanded metal is good, but it has a tendancy to catch on things. The harbor freight trailers usually have some brackets to make side rails out of 2x4's. they lift up and out of the way.

I think you should make it into a porch trailer. Enclose the front 20" so you can do all your prep and box building in the front and then never have to unload your 14" wsm and just bolt it to the frame on the porch. save a lot of time on set up and tear down.

Return it to Harbor Freight and save your funds for something much better. Keep a watch on Craigslist for used landscaping trailers. They will be less than a grand and will suit your needs much, much better.

As you have already bought the trailer, it is my assumption that you are not looking for comments about what you could/should have done different (although there are a lot of things that could be said along those lines), so here's what I got:

- With the harbor freight trailer, I would not consider making it tall enough to stand up in. I have no facts but have seen them in the stores on a few occasions, and I do not believe that it would be wise to modify this trailer where it ends up being 50% taller than it is wide/long
- Think about what seasons you intend on using it for comps (or other occasions). If there will be any moisture on the roads, I would want to have the bottom surface covered and not just expanded metal, as it would be depressing to show up at a comp after driving on muddy roads to find everything in the back needing a few hours of cleaning

Here is an example of how someone enclosed their harbor freight trailer (still think it is too tall however)
http://www.wm8c.com/diy_enclosed_trailer.htm

your screwed. first thing I looked at was the gvwr =1000# - 130# for the trailer =870#..then I looked up a sheet of ply wood (see below)..then I saw 8" tires and 1 7/8" ball ( I don't know of anyone still using that sized ball. outdated).. It might be worth the $199.99 to you but I think you just pitched your money. remember a bag of charcoal is 20#, meat, bags of ice, a pop up tent, tables etc...a spare tire...your pushing/over the listed "weight limit" , if its safe to approach.

Hardwood plywood typically weighs around 55 lbs. per 3/4-in.-thick sheet. Utility plywood can be much heavier, however. A 3/4-in.-thick sheet of BC fir plywood, for example, can weigh more than 70 lbs. By comparison, a full sheet of 1/4-in.

good luck, I hope not to be behind you on the highway if you load much on it.

Last edited:
Id probably think about the future too and run 30amp power. Odds are you will want an AC unit after your first steamy contest.

I think you should make it into a porch trailer. Enclose the front 20" so you can do all your prep and box building in the front and then never have to unload your 14" wsm and just bolt it to the frame on the porch. save a lot of time on set up and tear down.

Id probably think about the future too and run 30amp power. Odds are you will want an AC unit after your first steamy contest.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN29X2HCKpU"]Bad Man Montage - Babu from Seinfeld - YouTube[/ame]

Wow did not realize how heavy plywood is. I just bought it so I can always just take it apart and return it. That's no good. Oh well nice to dream just going to have to wait until we can get a better one a few years down the road.

Although what about just mounting an UDS to the frame? I have a drum that has never been built because I realized I have no way to move it. Would that still be too heavy? Just curious.

I would say probably just going to return it as I don't think it will serve a purpose.

Return it to Harbor Freight and save your funds for something much better. Keep a watch on Craigslist for used landscaping trailers. They will be less than a grand and will suit your needs much, much better.

I agree. I had one of these trailers. Its all bolted together so you will always be tightening loose bolts.

I welded mine together, it was a little better but its still a flimsy trailer. Don't use expanded metal on the floor, use a good grade plywood as it adds to the structural strength if you decide to keep it

Back