Competition Power Source

Jousting Pigs

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Big John
I signed up last minute for the Kelley Wilson Memorial BBQ Contest this weekend but they don't have an electricity supply and I don't have a generator. I don't have much to power, just two lights with Cree 65 Watt equivalent LED flood lights. Would something like this be sufficient to power the lights for a while when I'm prepping meat? I can't find how many amps these lights pull and I don't want to over do it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK%C2%AE-Outlets-Inverter-Charger-Adapter/dp/B00UFERZKO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8"]Amazon.com : BESTEK® 5A 4 USB Ports + 2 AC Outlets 400W Power Inverter Car DC 12V to 110V AC Inverter Power Supply Laptop Charger Mobile Charger AC Adapter with Battery Clamps and Car Cigar Plug : Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Jcwb%2BOhWL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Jcwb%2BOhWL[/ame]

Not trying to be a smart a** here, but is this a Friday Saturday or a Saturday Sunday? If so why not prep after meat inspection. Then have a cap light or head lamp which you can get for $5 and possible even a lantern, battery or gas if you need more light. I mean roughly sunset is like 9pm and sunrise is 6am so if all you need light for is prep I would prep after meat inspection. Now if you need more power or light than I suggested, I am sorry I just thought that is what you said you needed power for.

From the Cree web site: Wattage: Uses only 9 Watts

At 120V, that's .075A, or almost nothing. at 13.8V that's .65A. Figure 1A draw on the battery with inverter efficiency included.

That inverter is fine, and you can use almost any battery to power it since you are drawing very little current.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron! That was what I wanted to know. I didn't know how the wattage and volts converted and I assumed I would be ok but we all know what happens when you assume.

Fat Freddy, its a Fri/Sat cook. I do all my trimming at home but I like to have the bright white light coming from both sides when I'm injecting and putting rub on. My time line is setup where I'm injecting and rubbing my brisket and butts at 10pm so it will be dark, especially with the rain they are calling for. That being said, I should look into getting a better head lamp than what I have, it isn't bright enough for my liking.

Consider getting RV LED lights if that is all you are using the inverter for. The inverter is bringing your 12V battery up to 125V so your LED power supply can drop it down to somewhere in the 1.5 to 3V range. That is not an efficient process.

There are a lot of RV lights that are designed to run from the 12V power systems in an RV. You can connect a whole lot of those to a 12V battery.

Back