Competition help.

dtyates

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey guys, I have a few competition questions. First, I've only competed in 2 competitors and both of those at backyard level in FBA sanctioned contests. The first comp, my team got 2 calls. The second comp, we finished top 5 in 3 categories, with a 1st in pork, top 10 in the 4th and ended up reserve champ. All of this was really unbelievable and I honestly couldn't be happier with what we've done, but, all of our scores were in the high 180s (200 being perfect). We cook prime briskets, duroc butts and ribs, and all organic air cooled free range chicken. With that being said, I know we're missing something. I can't put my finger on it though. We inject, rub, wrap, blue magic, and so on. We make our own rubs and injections and figured that could be it. Been considering buying some Oakridge products. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Willing to share a few tips? I'm hoping to go pro at some point and be successful but I'd like to get my scores up in the mid 190s before making the jump. Thanks in advance.

Oak ridge makes some great products. Other winners are Butchers, Sucklebusters, Kosmos, Plowboys among others. Remember you are trying to figure out the judges pallets. Good luck.

With an RGC in a backyard, It's time to step on up and head out with the pros. Just jump in and start cooking more. You will figure out what is working and what isn't. But before searching for a perfect flavor profile, nail the tenderness and schedule. You'll figure out the taste and appearance on the journey.

There are other excellent products out there besides Oakridge as well. Do some research and test cooking. In your detailed scores, which areas are you scoring the lowest? It is appearance, taste, or tenderness? I would work on the areas that are your weakest points. Try and pick a program, and stick with it for a while. Constantly changing your program every cook makes it hard to know what areas need correction.

Do remember that your scores are going to be very inconsistent over your first year, and you are going to have some great cooks, and as most all of us have experienced, some not so great cooks. Take pictures of your boxes and taste your meats after you turn them in and give yourself an honest evaluation. Make notes for the next cook, and work on your timeline if you had timing issues.

Is taste the score that's dragging you down? Make sure that's the problem before you try to fix it. It could be tenderness.

There are teams that use homemade rubs and such that win all the time (parrothead is one example).

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. Judging by our scores from the last comp, it looks like we just need to fine tune our product as a whole. We averaged above a 9 but saw some 8s. We also a few perfect scores. I feel the results could have been different if our boxes had seen different tables. I know a lot of teams are using commercial rubs and injections and I basically wanted to get my feelers out and see what yall thought. I do use yard bird on my chicken but everything else if made at home. Thanks again for the input.

My advice is don't be in a rush to move to Pro, unless the cost is insignificant to you.

2 events does not make you an experienced competition team, despite the fact you've had some beginner's luck. If you are enjoying what you are doing now, stick with it.

/opinion

I'm not in a rush to go pro. I'd like to ultimately do well enough to be successful at a pro level. I also know that 2 comps doesn't qualify us as an experienced cook team. I was merely looking for any tips that this wonderful forum and it's members had to offer.

Here are some suggestions:
Injections-Butchers or Kosmos
Rubs-Smoking Guns, Cimmaron Docs, Simply Maveleous Peppered Cow, Sweet Seduction. Big Poppa Money & Sweet Money. Victory Lane, any of them.
Sauces-Blues Hog, Head Country, A Fine Swine, Swamp Boys

Just a few of the many options available.

Here are some suggestions:
Injections-Butchers or Kosmos
Rubs-Smoking Guns, Cimmaron Docs, Simply Maveleous Peppered Cow, Sweet Seduction. Big Poppa Money & Sweet Money. Victory Lane, any of them.
Sauces-Blues Hog, Head Country, A Fine Swine, Swamp Boys

Just a few of the many options available.

Do you have a cooler recommendation?

you are buying high quality meats and your spice combo just has to work for how you cook. Jump in and try it. Cook your game do not do the trick of the week and give it a try. Keep some notes and good luck

Hey guys, I have a few competition questions. First, I've only competed in 2 competitors and both of those at backyard level in FBA sanctioned contests. The first comp, my team got 2 calls. The second comp, we finished top 5 in 3 categories, with a 1st in pork, top 10 in the 4th and ended up reserve champ. All of this was really unbelievable and I honestly couldn't be happier with what we've done, but, all of our scores were in the high 180s (200 being perfect). We cook prime briskets, duroc butts and ribs, and all organic air cooled free range chicken. With that being said, I know we're missing something. I can't put my finger on it though. We inject, rub, wrap, blue magic, and so on. We make our own rubs and injections and figured that could be it. Been considering buying some Oakridge products. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Willing to share a few tips? I'm hoping to go pro at some point and be successful but I'd like to get my scores up in the mid 190s before making the jump. Thanks in advance.

I would say just cook more contests. Cooking 2 contests doesn't give you enough experience to start worrying about anything yet. I tell people to cook 4 contests in a row without changing a thing. Then if you need to make small changes make small tweaks and write everything down.
The hardest part is cooking it perfect. Then cooking it perfect again, and again etc.
Tenderness will affect taste scores.

Oakridge BBQ has very good products. We have had a decent amount of success with Secret Weapon, Gamebird, Dominator and Black Ops rubs. Give them a try. Dam me for more info if you want.

Back