Comp trailer, the CDL's and the D.O.T.

Ive driven an 18x8.5 foot cargo trailer with a 9 foot high pig logo on it from NY to KC, from NY to FL, from NY to canada, Ny to TN, and all over new england and the only time I got stopped was going thru the Midtown tunnel IN NYC for them to check for a propane tank. Never had any problems.

Attachments

• 2013-03-22_14-23-04_842.jpg
    2013-03-22_14-23-04_842.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 194
While I agree that it makes it appear commercial, I dont know that "competition team" written on the side makes it commercial. From reading apparently 31 states have adopted the federal dot standard. The highlighted portion of my first post lists an exclusion for things such as horse shows/cars/etc .. even when prizes and scholarships are given. It's a very thin grey line on if bbq comps (and I believe they would be in the same category) meet this criteria for an exception. Most of the posts I've seen where people have had a problem has been NE, specifically PA. And those people by there own word were clearly breaking the law with huge rigs (over weight) and littered with signage.

I did however see a video of a guy coming to a comp in TN getting stopped for passing a weigh station. He is the yellow bbq ministry guy. The problem I see here is, he appeared as if he could be under the 10,001lb law, and TN is one of those 31 states that adopted the federal dot code. HOWEVER he had a ton of signage on his truck and trailer also. He was let off without any problems because he stated he was a ministry.

I havent emailed the dot yet seeking clarification on the exemption. Just havent had time. I'll post their reply when I do and get it though.

The DOT is nutty. I work for a company that does cameras mounted on windshields of fleet vehicles. We have a federal exemption allowing our equipment more mounting flexibility.

And yet, we still have some states that don't want to play nice and refuse to allow it, no matter how many times our legal department shows them the paperwork. As mentioned above, so much of it is at the officers discretion, it's annoying.

People say that even the ability to win trophy or prize money is compensation and subjects you to interstate commerce laws.

Like when I drive my car over the state line to pay poker, or if I buy a lottery ticket on a road trip? Probably more likely to make money at poker vs. bbs, but anyway...

The regulations are convoluted, and have enough loop holes that an overly ambitions DOT enforcement officer can call it any way they want it.

I live in a state that says you don't need a CDL for a non-commericial RV regardless of weight, but the DMV says you need it for any vehicle over 26,001. Which rule applies? Apparently either. Depends on who is asking and what kind of a mood they are in. Would be nice if the rules were more clear cut.

I have been told the easiest way around this is have a bed and or living area installed in it amd have it titled as a camper.

You are not involved in interstate commerce. You don't have to have dot numbers. For personal or private use you don't have to have a CDL.

Back