Comp trailer, the CDL's and the D.O.T.

Chrisreedtn

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Chris
(Sorry if this has been brought up before. I cant search here, and I went back about 12 pages but don't see anything about it.)

Im trying to figure out/ understand the laws that pertain to hauling a comp trailer on the interstate. Ive read a few pretty rough stories about people getting popped and having to hire a CDL driver on the spot to drive their truck home, etc..

I read that when pulling a trailer and having a GCVWR of 10,001+ you need a cdl. Looking at the flow chart it appears you only need a cdl if over GCVWR of 26,001 pounds. I understand that there is federal law, then states can have their own more stringent laws. Do you need a CDL to haul a porch trailer?

D.O.T. numbers?? I read and understand from several places that when engaged in interstate commerce that you need to be dot registered. People say that even the ability to win trophy or prize money is compensation and subjects you to interstate commerce laws. Do you have to register your trailer/truck?

The following link states some exemptions: However, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) provide an exception for the transportation of horses and other animals to shows and events, as well as cars, boats and other similar items. When such transportation is not business related (i.e., the transportation is not for compensation, and the driver is not performing in an underlying business related to the move), the FMCSRs do not apply, even if prize or scholarship money is offered for the event. This exemption includes the Hours-of-Service (HOS) regulations, requirements for use of Electronic Logging Devices (ELDs) and CDL regulations, unless a CDL is required by the driver’s home state.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/hours-service/elds/agricultural-exceptions-and-exemptions-fmcsa-safety?fbclid=IwAR0iAWShrzmrt_ZHS5OtaXNr9iFeTJ2CJRB1pNEPOws0pWYN9F1YHDe-fuM

And weigh stations, Ive read so many different things about stopping at these or not. Should I be stopping?

Sorry for the long post, Im just trying to figure this out before I get to involved. I dont personally care to keep up with all this nonsense if possible. Id really appreciate any insight you have.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I think it really boils down to the particular day and the particular mood of the officer who may or may not pull you over. We've actually avoided putting any branding on our cook trailer specifically because of horror stories that have been going around.

(Sorry if this has been brought up before. I cant search here

Sure you can. From our FAQ

My SEARCH doesn't work. Where is the SEARCH and NEW POST feature.
The standard search is at the bottom of the forum. Its uses the google search engine but only searches our forum and is available to everyone with or without a subscription. The expanded search is included with subscriptions and is on the blue menu bar. It allows extended searching with advanced options, boolean searching, search by date, members, etc. A subscription must be purchased to activate the advanced search feature but the bottom google search is available to all members

Sure you can. From our FAQ

Hey thanks.

I found the post that I had seen before, it was about trailer decals. It seemed like alot of varied information in there as well. It also seemed like the people that had problems were people that were clearly overweight (i.e. 40 foot trailer, semi tractor, etc) but nothing specific to a half ton or 3/4 ton setup.

I think that's going to be the key unfortunately. I was just hoping that others have explored this before.

The problem is you can get conflicting information from different parties for different states and setups etc... I had a question about pickup/trailer one time here in NE and got told all kinds of different things by friends. Finally just called the State Patrol and told them what I had and what I was doing and they gave me a direct answer.

For the most part I would think you would be considered “recreational” and don’t have to worry about too much.

As a CDL holder good luck getting a straight answer from the DOT. Each officer interprets it differently and if they go to the trouble of pulling you over you will get a ticket.

Technically under a certain size weight you don't need a CDL but you do need a DOT registration and all the rules that pertain to a commercial vehicle pulling a trailer are to be followed. You can go to the office and get the answers of what those are but each state seems to have it's "own" rules.

That's the way im seeing it Norm. And why in was hoping somebody had gotten actual clarification.

It does look like I wouldn't need a cdl under 26,001. TN atleast has a little chart that seems to make that pretty clear. Appears the people that got popped in the thread that TheDeuce linked, were clearly over the cdl weight.

The dot# seems to be much less clear. My only guess is emailing each state agency and getting a written answer. Just going to suck if it's not the answer I hope for. I dont really like entertaining the idea of breaking the law, even if I think im in that grey area. I dont want to be the one wound up being an example. I also just dont want to deal with all the nonsense involved for a handful of trips across state lines per year.

This thread explains a lot to me. I always wondered why people who were seriously into the comps were cooking on WSM's and UDS's.
They fit into a U-Haul.

This thread explains a lot to me. I always wondered why people who were seriously into the comps were cooking on WSM's and UDS's.
They fit into a U-Haul.

Not sure what you mean, people who are 'seriously into comps' cook on what wins for them, not what is driven by a DOT....

They fit into a U-Haul.

I don't think this is reason some people go the minimal route and to be honest, I don't think I have seen DOT numbers on any competitor rig, big fish or small fish.

But I do follow the motto of not drawing attention to yourself. Now that I am in an RV toyhauler camper, that is even easier to do.

Heck, I have a friend who was towing a legitimate snowmobile trailer and got stopped at a manditory roadblock. He thought the cop was just chatting him up and he mentioned he was going to his home town for a local rib contest. Bamm, "You're commercial" and 4 warning citations he was on his way again>

out of curiosity I see at different times when this has been discussed before the advice of not "branding" your trailer.......why do you guys think that the name of a BBQ team or some kind of BBQ branding on a 7 x 16 trailer would cause an officer to pull that trailer over vs. one with no branding?

Because it shows it's a commercial trailer which comes under the DOT's jurisdiction.

Because branding = business and business = commercial

Much different from the pulling a personal cargo trailer moving.

Back