Comp site setup...

We started out with a pickup and smoker....got too small. Then added an open trailer....got too small. Then picked up 6x12 enclosed trailer...now it's too small. If we bought a full sized rig it would probably be too small within a few months. We have got to cut back on the crap we haul around....as someone mentioned it's the loading and unloading that wears you down...and makes me grumpy... ;)

3 Questions from reading this post:

1. How often do the sites have power and/or running water?
2. Could someone describe a typical sanitation station? Hot Water?
3. How often do you get to park your ride (Truck, SUV, Car, whatever) next to your setup site?

Thanks,
Gerry

3 Questions from reading this post:

1. How often do the sites have power and/or running water?

All comps we did this year had both.

2. Could someone describe a typical sanitation station? Hot Water?

We use a 5 gallon igloo cooler with a "free-flow" spigot. We have three bus tubs we use for washing dishes, plus a wash bucket. Always have a gallon of bleach on hand and use a coleman stove to heat hot water.

3. How often do you get to park your ride (Truck, SUV, Car, whatever) next to your setup site?

Not as often as we would like.

Thanks,
Gerry
Thanks

i too use to bring the entire house to a comp, then i started doing them by myself and realized loading and unloading all that crap by myself was for the birds... so now everything i take fits in my toyota tundra....

I have a trailer now but didn't start with one. After a few years I learned one simple rule. If you don't use something at a comp don't bring it next time. Keep it simple! Also clear plastic bins with labels. Always out stuff back where it belongs. When practicing at home bring out the bins don't use the kitchen.

We really streamlined at the beginning of the year.

Someone posted a comment early this year that made TOTAL sense: "If there's something in your stuff that you haven't used at the last 2 comps....lose it because you don't need it."

With that in mind, we now only bring 2 totes/bins (1 is mine and 1 is Jimmy's - we live an hour apart), either 2 10x10 EZ Ups or 1 10x20 canopy, depending on the weather forecast, 3- 4' tables, a cambro (which we store meat and metal pans in), a couple of fans, our 2 air mattresses, chairs, a stack of empty buckets and the Jambo (which we usually stick the wood, charcoal, foil pans, etc into).

I'll try and snap some photos at next weekend's comp to post here.

We really streamlined at the beginning of the year.

Someone posted a comment early this year that made TOTAL sense: "If there's something in your stuff that you haven't used at the last 2 comps....lose it because you don't need it."

With that in mind, we now only bring 2 totes/bins (1 is mine and 1 is Jimmy's - we live an hour apart), either 2 10x10 EZ Ups or 1 10x20 canopy, depending on the weather forecast, 3- 4' tables, a cambro (which we store meat and metal pans in), a couple of fans, our 2 air mattresses, chairs, a stack of empty buckets and the Jambo (which we usually stick the wood, charcoal, foil pans, etc into).

I'll try and snap some photos at next weekend's comp to post here.

The one thing Kempis didnt mention is that we use a LOT of disposable items such as cutting boards, aluminum pans, and we also have meat pre trimmed so that cuts down on alot of hauling back and forth. we can be set up in about 30 minutes, tear down takes a while because I am lazy LOL

The one thing Kempis didnt mention is that we use a LOT of disposable items such as cutting boards, aluminum pans, and we also have meat pre trimmed so that cuts down on alot of hauling back and forth. we can be set up in about 30 minutes, tear down takes a while because I am lazy LOL

That's what we do. As much disposable as possible and trim ahead of time. One other thing we do (because we only compete close to home) is just have a bin for utensils, gloves and whatever else gets dirty at competition. We just throw all the dirty stuff in there and then clean it when we get home. That way we don't need to bring 3 tubs for cleaning.

Something that I saw a team do at a contest this year that made total sense is to use foil pans as your wash stations instead of hauling 3 plastic tubs around. We were already bringing 6-8 pans to comps so whats another 4 going to add for weight and volume, not much, but it will be easy at the end of the weekend to empty the pans and chuck them.

So I had all of the same issues as everyone else and here is what I did....I bought maybe 5 or 6 see through tubs, all the exact same size and everything went in a tub. There was a rub/injection tub, a cleaning tub, an extension cord tub/light tub....etc. Made it very easy to pack and very easy to find stuff. They go in a logical order under my tables. Even with a trailer I pack tightly. 3 tables, 3 coolers, a cambro, 1-3 ezups....pre-make all sauces and injections...I actually do not dread the unpack anymore

Thank you all very much. this has been extremely helpful. some great ideas here that we will certainly be working with in going forward.

Depends on what I'm doing exactly.

For comps it a cambro and a cooler and four of these heavy duty boxes for storage.
1 small= rubs, sauces knife roll and other small tools.
2. small = cleaning products, first aid kit, flashlights, thermometers etc.
3. cooking gear such as pans, trays, cutting boards, foil, pots etc.
4= overflow- ropes, scissors, aprons, towels, uniforms etc.

2ajrms8.jpg

2qu11ld.jpg

If doing demonstrations and traveling on the train etc. It's the man-bag, small suitcase or backpack and a rotisserie or whatever is needed. The bag will hold thermos , tickets, bourbon,knife roll, iPad and travel documents along with other small items.
14d3n9d.jpg

Classroom teaching -demonstrations is about the same as above with one of the small boxes for miscellaneous demo items and product.

Here is our set up:

297543_347436052005968_2021695023_n.jpg

We sometimes take an RV to comps, if we can. Even then we still set up our 'cook' site just like this. Every comp, every time, the same set up.

-Mike

Going to our second comp tomorrow and we look like "The Grapes Of Wrath".

We would look a lot worse had we not gone to a bunch of competitions and looked at what others had done. We also tried to gauge what they brought their stuff in compared to what we have to travel with.

Also, going to the competitions and talking with the teams that are there and just asking a few questions really helped.

wallace

Back