Comp cooking with gas?

My god is nothing holy any more. Damn men marrying men. Had to take down civil war statues, no more rebel flag, Obama care, now gas grills.

Never ever thought it would come to this! What next Cowgirl placing a gasser by the lake and cooking grilled tofu.

http://www.salon.com/2010/07/09/smoked_seitan/

Behold the most unholy thing ever created! The VEGAN BRISKET!!!! :twitch:

My god is nothing holy any more. Damn men marrying men. Had to take down civil war statues, no more rebel flag, Obama care, now gas grills.

Never ever thought it would come to this! What next Cowgirl placing a gasser by the lake and cooking grilled tofu.

If Jeanie did, it would be damn good tofu.:p

To start off, off topic I am not a vegetarian but I eat, and I must say enjoy tofu often. I also will admit that I made a copy of the page that Rusty linked to his post and will give it a try. Before we can live fully we must open our mind to trying all types of food and processes of preparation, at almost 60 years old I still find something that I thought I don't like and give it a try , you never know.

Now back on topic, Allowing gas cookers at competition events. I am neither opposed or in favor of, in other words what ever is decided I will accept. I do not think that there is an advantage on the bbq side as most are no longer tending fires all night now, but I must say that I can see ancillary events that would be greatly enhanced and expanded if gas cookers are allowed, some things just do not need smoke, yet need to be cooked/grilled.

As far as the safety side goes, I am not sure in other countries, but here in the US all propane bottles since 1994 are required to have an OPD valve, this has a few built in safety features for filling, but most importantly it will not allow gas to flow from the cylinder unless it is connected to the correct propane pigtail, if you open the valve on the tank and it is not connected to the correct pigtail, (the large green connector) no gas will flow from the cylinder. Also, just behind the green nut is a black plastic sleeve, approximately 1/4 of an inch long. This is actually another safety device. If the cylinder connected to the hose is engulfed in fire, the plastic will melt at a low temperature. I think around 225-240 degrees which allows the internal brass fitting to move back stopping the gas flow. The OPD also will stop the gas flow if it senses excessive flow from the cylinder, ie a broken or cut line. Yes this does not prevent a grill that blows out from leaking gas until it is either shut off cleared and lit. However most commercially built cookers have a thermocouple that stop gas flow if the device is no longer lit. I know my fridge, water heater and stove in my toyhauler will shut the gas flow off if the igniter does not sense heat within a matter of seconds.

As stated before, if you look around most competitions today the majority of the sites have trailers with propane on them, my toyhauler has 2 30# cylinders on it at all times. With anything, it is only as safe as the operator. I do not think any of us want to cause a fire or explosion causing injury to ourselves or anyone, I guess my only advice is that if you get parked next to someone and you hear " Hey, hold my beer and watch this", find another place to park:loco:

Gas? Why should cooks care, or fear gas cookers? I grew up cooking on an offset, and cooked on one until I got older and arthritic. Then I picked up a ceramic cooker, using a Digi-Q for ease of temp control. Does the ceramic take less work than a stick burner. Absolutely. Does it turn out good Q? Yes it does. Is the Q as good as a stick burner. Not in my opinion. As I got more arthritic and less mobile, I picked up a pellet pooper. Does it take less work than an offset or ceramic? Yep. Does it make decent Q? Yes it does. Is the Q as good as a stick burner? Not in my opinion.

I cannot imagine that a gas cooker can compete with a stick burner or even a ceramic, as far as taste goes. Less work? Yep. Competitive taste? Not in my opinion. Granted, gas at a BBQ takes away from the image of Man, Fire, Food, but so does electric pellet poopers, and electric blowers and computers. The genie is out of the bottle.

If I was out there cooking on a Jambo, I sure wouldn't be intimidated by Gary Gasser. Who knows, maybe things will swing the other way in the future, and several organizers will advertise comps with wood only, no electricity or gas, especially if cooks support the comp.

Meanwhile, in the sticks of Texas, where our okra is 5' high, life goes on. Good Q to you reprobates.

We just did a rib only contest raising money for local veterans I believe we were the only team out of 17 teams using gas. So it is not that common for guys to want to use gas yet.

It had blind judging and a popular vote also.

I cannot imagine that a gas cooker can compete with a stick burner or even a ceramic, as far as taste goes. Less work? Yep. Competitive taste? Not in my opinion. Granted, gas at a BBQ takes away from the image of Man, Fire, Food, but so does electric pellet poopers, and electric blowers and computers. The genie is out of the bottle.

If I was out there cooking on a Jambo, I sure wouldn't be intimidated by Gary Gasser. Who knows, maybe things will swing the other way in the future, and several organizers will advertise comps with wood only, no electricity or gas, especially if cooks support the comp.

Meanwhile, in the sticks of Texas, where our okra is 5' high, life goes on. Good Q to you reprobates.

Like I said in the quote above, we were the only team out of 17 using gas at a comp, I don't know who the judges were in the blind judging but we took third place. A trophy and $500.00, we donated the $500.00 to the veterans organization that the comp was raising money for.

Did those judges taste the gas?

Like I said in the quote above, we were the only team out of 17 using gas at a comp, I don't know who the judges were in the blind judging but we took third place. A trophy and $500.00, we donated the $500.00 to the veterans organization that the comp was raising money for.

Did those judges taste the gas?

Difficult to make a prognostication on a rib only cook. Congrats on 3rd. Nice of you to donate the money.

Back