Comp Boxes...

Don't you have a "Q"chen to keep everything?

Don and I also have Department of Redundancy Department issues

Wal-Mart - $29 (Don, this is the one I was mentioning)
018800R_mid_res.jpg

Here's a few ideas I've come up with so far...

I'd be a little worried about the durability of those JD, at least the way we handle stuff.

Our comp box(es) need to be big enough to hold the bus tubs (along with the other stuff), so the small drawer things aren't what I am looking for. Great thread though, I am thinking the right idea for me will spring forth.

Our comp box(es) need to be big enough to hold the bus tubs (along with the other stuff)
You know, we STILL have bus tubs and a couple of other odd things rattling around in the pack by themselves. :lol:

I think our problem is that we want to cook like we have an RV, without the storage solutions that come with it!

That, sir, is a great idea!

Get a cabinet for $125 http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=47091-16315-B36OALP
Laminate Counter Top for $30 http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=151970-1110-47241110
Four Locking Casters for $20 http://www.harborfreight.com

and you are set!

Upgrade to Corian to waterproof it!

dmp
I think it came to about $175 with the outdoor paint. If I can dig my way to the garage tonight, I'll try to take some pictures.

We did come across a couple of problems early on.

The first of which is that the bottom of the cabinets are not as deep as you would want so it was a bit unstable until we built some 'feet' that extened the bottom to a depth of almost 2 1/2 feet.

The second item was that we had selected casters that are a little to small and because of that we do have to do a little bit of lifting to get it in and out of the trailer. I do have a couple of ideas to correct this issue come spring.

One of the possitives is that once on the trailer, we can fit both of our Cambro 400's on top and strap them down. It keeps them from getting to beat up on the trips both from and to the comps.

We are also adding a shelf to the side to hold our new on-demand hot water heater just to keep it off the ground and the area clear.

Here's a few ideas I've come up with so far...

EP73462089_bg.jpg

550984_sk_lg.jpg

AAAAAuVZxM0AAAAAAGY85w.jpg

I have a similar one to what is pictured in the middle, except it has four small shelves on top and three large ones on the bottom. They carry a lot of the items I need and everyone knows exactly where to go for certain items. I have had this for about three years.

The durability in question are in the wheels. Only recently did one of the wheels decide to come loose. But duct tape to the rescue and I no longer have that problem.:biggrin:

WARNING! If this item is going to be thrown into the back of your pick-up, make sure the drawers are secured, because they will catch wind and fly out. Don't ask how I know this.:roll: One bunge cord can be used to secure the drawers properly.:wink:

I like the design. I am about to build one myself and i had never thought about some of that. Especially like the spot on the bottom for cookie sheets/cutting boards. What are the overall dimensions? Any other pics/plans for it?

Chris - The only dimension I can remember is that the box is 4 feet long. I'll get measurements tonite and post them. The next box I build will be exactly like this one, except I will notch the vertical plywood to fit the shelves. They have a tendency to want to come apart bouncing down the hiway on the trailer.

Chris - The only dimension I can remember is that the box is 4 feet long. I'll get measurements tonite and post them. The next box I build will be exactly like this one, except I will notch the vertical plywood to fit the shelves. They have a tendency to want to come apart bouncing down the hiway on the trailer.
We used to build those when I was a scoutmaster and called them partol boxes... The only thing I remember is that they can get REAL heavy.... lol

We used to build those when I was a scoutmaster and called them partol boxes... The only thing I remember is that they can get REAL heavy.... lol

Jeff,

REAL heavy is right. It is definitly a 2 man job to lift this monster. Fully loaded I would guess it at about 150 to 175 lbs.

We used to build those when I was a scoutmaster and called them patrol boxes... The only thing I remember is that they can get REAL heavy.... lol

Jeff,

REAL heavy is right. It is definitely a 2 man job to lift this monster. Fully loaded I would guess it at about 150 to 175 lbs.
To be honest, I have one in the garage that I had built for myself years ago for 'Car Camping'... It was the weight issue that made me go with the cabinets on casters. That and the fact that we have 5 drawers to keep every thing organized...

It was the weight issue that made me go with the cabinets on casters.

I was thinking that there may be a place for both approaches. Use the caster cabinet for the heavier things and the work space, then use "something else" on stilts to represent overhead cabinets. Might be useful....

dmp

I was thinking that there may be a place for both approaches. Use the caster cabinet for the heavier things and the work space, then use "something else" on stilts to represent overhead cabinets. Might be useful....

dmp
I could see building some thing like that for our spices... Sure would make it easier to find than in a box.

hey chrome can you post a picture that shows the lables better

Chris-sorry for taking so long with the measurements. Inside dimensions are 18x18x47 1/2.

Smoke showin, what labels ya wanna know about? The only 2 packaged seasonings in the box are Harley's Seasonings. Good stuff. The rest is seasonall, lemon pepper and various spices.

Back