Comment card

So we're ready to ban a CBJ based on assumption?

Could this judge have "been a dick", greedily taking extra meat from the box? Sure.

Could the judge have picked up a slice and another was glued to it with sauce? Sure.

Was the box judged according to the published KCBS rules? It seems it was.

Should this cook consider putting more samples in their box next time? Probably.

Is there enough information to crucify anyone here? Nope.

I was at that contest and sat at that table. I was told afterwards by one judge that he saw another judge take 2 slices, and by the time the box got to him, only one burnt end was left. He did say that he reported this to the Rep, so that the Rep would know about it. I don't know if it was reported during or after judging. I know that The judge who gave you the comment card is a very good judge, takes it very seriously, is a master judge, and judges for several organizations.

So we're ready to ban a CBJ based on assumption?

Could this judge have "been a dick", greedily taking extra meat from the box? Sure.

Could the judge have picked up a slice and another was glued to it with sauce? Sure.

Was the box judged according to the published KCBS rules? It seems it was.

Should this cook consider putting more samples in their box next time? Probably.

Is there enough information to crucify anyone here? Nope.

I wouldn't call it an assumption if someone sitting at the same table chimes in. A real dick move by the judge who obviously can't count. If two pieces did somehow stick together then another comment card should be completed saying such. I have had issues with with pieces sticking together and everyone at the table is aware of it as you feel sorry for the cook.

There is no doubt that one of the judges took an extra slice that caused the last judge to be shorted a piece however anything beyond that or stating a motive is just an assumption. Was the judge being greedy, trying to be a jerk or just an honest mistake...I don't know but neither does anyone else based on the information presented in this forum. Even jcoq44 said he did not see it happen, only heard about it after the fact and does not say anything about what was said in any followup that the reps made with either judge. It was most likely an honest mistake and I think calling this judge a "dick" or saying they should be banned from judging based on the limited facts available is going way too far, just my opinion.

What we do know is that the judge the filled out he comment card did a fantastic job in this instance, they filled out a comment card that explained their low score and they reported it to the rep. There is not doubt in my mind, based on the comment card and the description of this judge by jcoq44, that had that been a perfect piece of burnt end this judge would have acted appropriately and given winochef a good or perfect score based on what the judge sampled and would not have marked down based on the slices that were not there.

This is not correct. The judge is under no obligation to take more than one sample and it can be from any part they choose. I think in practice, and feedback from any judges would be great on this, they do take a sample of each when it comes to brisket (slice/BE) and pork (MM/Pulled or chopped) but they don't have to.

I may be wrong here since I've only judged once and I took the class last October (clearly not an expert!).

That said I do recall that in my class we were specifically told to taste everything in the box, so if there was MM and pulled you were told to taste both. This happened at my table later on during actual judging, and a judge missed a 2nd preparation (was an accident) and they had to take it and judge it as well.

This is why it's important that you only turn in what's good and not great slices and bad burnt ends/great MM and mush pulled... etc.

Thanks for everyones input! Looking back I believe the comment from egorham that the judge did really did a good job by filling out the comment card explaining their low score. Yes I need to make sure all BE are worthy of being in the box. Some judges liked them others got sub-par pieces. Chalk this up to the learning curve!

I may be wrong here since I've only judged once and I took the class last October (clearly not an expert!).

That said I do recall that in my class we were specifically told to taste everything in the box, so if there was MM and pulled you were told to taste both. This happened at my table later on during actual judging, and a judge missed a 2nd preparation (was an accident) and they had to take it and judge it as well.

This is why it's important that you only turn in what's good and not great slices and bad burnt ends/great MM and mush pulled... etc.

So was the judge then made to average the scores together or did the rep have another idea of their "own" on how to judge?

After sleeping on it, your right I wasn't there and have no first hand knowledge and commented on assumptions... My bad.
So I've decided to blame it all on the table captain!!
It is their responsability to make sure the judging process follows KCBS rules and procedures.
The TC should have noticed that there were only 6 slices of brisket and when judge in seat three took two slices realized judge six would not get a slice to sample should have halted the action and had judge three return a slice to the container.
Is this going to happen? Pry not, put more meat in the box!!
Ed

It is possible that a judge grabbed two slices, leaving no slices for the last judge. Maybe because two of the slices weren't cut all the way through, or maybe another judge was just greedy and took two pieces. Either way, you should consider putting a couple extra slices in the box...just in case.

Yep, what he said.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All you should care about on the comment card is that you turned in some bad bbq. I would focus more on your cooking and less on what might have happened to your turn in meat.

And in reality you got a great comment card. Fatty and chewy. 6's. You should know exactly what you need to do based on that card.

Back