Cold Smoked Bacon In South Florida

have you ever tried slanina? Thats what it is called in slovakia.its popular all over europe.

Take hunk of bacon about an inch and a half thick. then boil it for about 20 mins. ( i suppose the boiling could be bypassed since you know the bacon is fresh) the boiling will kill any bacteria as well as cook off some grease.

No Boil! Changes the texture.

G'Day Bluey!

That is bloody awsome! Cold smoking in farkin' FLORIDA in Summer :crazy:. Holy COW!

I love the colour! Would love to try that soon, but I just did 25 pounds of Bacon myself... it will be a while before I need to do it again!

Cheers!

Bill

Sound to me like bluetang had better start planning this party or else a few dozen brethren are going to show up on his doorstep at some random time expecting to be fed.:p

Allright. You & Boshizzle have pushed me over the edge. I'm callin' a farkin butcher today and lining up a pork belly. I was just looking in the "Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing" book this morning at the bacon recipe - I think I'm gonna do the maple bacon, which will be sweet, and use it for pig candy. Excellent post - thanks for putting that up!

So we're agreed. The party's at bluetang's Saturday around 6 p.m.

P.S. You might want to stock up on beer.

Allright. You & Boshizzle have pushed me over the edge. I'm callin' a farkin butcher today and lining up a pork belly. I was just looking in the "Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing" book this morning at the bacon recipe - I think I'm gonna do the maple bacon, which will be sweet, and use it for pig candy. Excellent post - thanks for putting that up!
Same here, but my butcher is making me buy them by the case :sad:

But then you wont have bacon stock for bean soup.

Take a few wedges, and throw them in when making bean soup. That way you have slanine the way it's supposed to be. And you can only boil maybe 6 ounces to make your soup and leave it in there. Gotta have meat in your beans!

I was just looking in the "Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing" book this morning at the bacon recipe -

The book says "RINSE" - most of the posts here say SOAK for half a day or so. Who's right? I have some meat ready for the drying stage - and I'm leaning towards rinse vs soak. Whaddaya think?

I have never smoked bacon but really want to. Yours looks awesome and better than anything I have ever gotten at a grocery store. Thanks for the post!!

The book says "RINSE" - most of the posts here say SOAK for half a day or so. Who's right? I have some meat ready for the drying stage - and I'm leaning towards rinse vs soak. Whaddaya think?

Dunno. I'll just do whatever seems right in the moment, which sometimes works for me. :heh:

I went with RINSE. 3lb belly, 3lb butt, 3lbs tenderloin. Put them in the fridge just like you see here.
Smoke Saturday - eat it Sunday.

IMG-20110805-00015.jpg

I think it depends on the salt content. I cut the amount of salt now by 25%, after 5-6 days I rinse, chill for a day and smoke. There were batches that I've done in the past that were too salty, so I soaked prior to smoking.

Man, that looks great! I tried last week to smoke my first bacon, but the pork belly I bought was way too thin. Lesson learned. I'm going to try again, though...you've re-inspired me!

Got a shoulder and two loins in cure now. Will pull and rinse and soak then cold smoke 2 hours and hot smoke until 165. What do you think of this plan?

I inject the butts and loins to 10% of green weight, then submerge in the leftover curing brine @ 38* for about five days. Rinse and smoke at 130* for a couple of hours to dry, then gradually raise the temp to 160 or so and add smoke. For butts, I remove from the smoker at IT of 152*, for the loins, I remove them at 140 ish because I slice it and grill or fry it. I think an IT of 165* is too high in either case.

Back