THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

piddlin

Ok, I’ve had my Old Country Smokehouse verticle smoker for about 8 months now. We’ve had some amazing butts, chickens, ribs and pork loin on this smoker. My problem is during long cooks, I start losing my coal bed after about 3 hours. I’m sitting here this morning with a flat and butt on and will be adding a chicken later on. I started with a half bag of charcoal and one split. Once the smoke cleared up, I put on the meat. Running temps up to 280, then adding a stick once it comes down to 260 (30 min or so). I am preheating the next stick and get instant combustion. After 3 hours, I’m only heating with the fire, very little coals. I’ve experimented with different temps and intake 1/2, 3/4, and fully open. Right after purchasing the smoker, I threw away the crappy wood grate, made a frame and used 2 layers of 3/4 expanded metal crossing each other to make ~1/2 inch holes. Only been using the hickory or post oak splits from Academy. The best coal bed I can maintain is if I average 300 degrees.

Any ideas?

Are you lighting the whole pile of charcoal or using some variation of the "minion method'?
The wood Academy sells is kiln dried and wont last as long as regular seasoned wood.

Larry

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the whole half bag. I do need to go ahead and buy some seasoned. I may have solved some of the issue. I closed the vents down to 1/4 and seems to be holding coals a little better.

I have a home built vertical wood fired. I'm using the generic "bag o' wood" hickory/pecan that's sold at Brookshires. Not very economical but I don't run this cooker every weekend.

I start it the same way as you but if I let my temps get down to 250/260, I'm in serious danger of not having enough coals to get a clean light on the next split. This happens about 3 hours in too. I have better luck if I ride a 275- 325 curve. If I lose my coal bed, I put a chimney of fresh charcoal over a high pressure propane burner and I'm back and going in short order.

You have learned where your smoker likes to ride. You are right to pre-heat your splits but you could easily use 2 or 3 at a time. I start with RO briqs but they are very hot when I put them in. Then I put a chimney of RO lump on top for a hotter and larger bed of coals. When the lump gets caught up, I add the splits and they ignite quickly. The cook chamber should rise to about 285* by then. Then I put my meat on. When the CC gets down to 265*, I put on 2-3 more splits (pre-heating all the time) and the CC will ride up to 285* again and will settle in around 275* and my smoker is very happy. I have adjusted all of my recipes for 275* and it works very well for me.

Wood is Too Dry - Burns to Ash. Get Less seasoned wood OR supplement your coal bed with a burning chimney of charcoal As Needed during a Cook - what I have to do as my Wood is 2 years since Split........ :thumb:

I agree with bbq freak and smitty. Kiln dried doesn't leave a big coal bed. I wouldn't pre-heat kiln dried wood. Throwing the wood on "cold" might help a little. Adding charcoal will help too. Real fix is properly seasoned wood.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back