Coach me on the WSM

Everyone does it a little differently. Here's how I do it.

If it's less than 6 hours, I fill the inside 1/2 full. I've never run out of briquettes this way. If I'm doing longer than 6, I go all the way.

If I need to get the temperature above 275°F, I often ditch putting water in the pan. I just have problems keeping it hot enough. Your mileage may vary depending on many factors, this is what works in my climate.

I use HEB Grand Champion Lump Charcoal (exclusive to Texas). Use what you like.

To get to temperature quickly, I let the briquettes sit in the bottom part for 5-10 minutes. Then I add the middle part and lid. I open the door and keep a close eye on it. Once I get about 50 degrees from my target temp, I add my wood chunks and close the door. They tend to have that thick white smoke for about 10 min or so. My target is to get the smoke clean and blue by the time I add the meat. I then adjust the bottom vents as it ramps up and take into account wind direction and speed. If I did everything right, I'm at temp and the smoke is blue right at the same time. Time to add the meat.

I'm puzzled why you guys need so many fully lit coals to get your wsm's up to temp. I've never needed more than 12-15 briqs to light my UDS, and it is usually up to temp and purring within 15-20 min.

Oh and one more comment.. Please don't soak your wood as was suggested by another poster above :)

Not a fan of leaving a hole in middle of charcoal and adding lit coals there either. Have always had better burns simply dumping the lit coals on top of the unlit ones.

I've had nicer burns using half lump and half briqs too.. a bit easier to cruise at higher cooking temp, and less ash buildup. That's a win win.

I'm a pretty big fan of fewer coals to start and leaving teh vents wide open longer. I feel that gets to TBS faster. Most often i get to TBS before temperature, in which case I just go ahead and put the meat on. I start with 1/4 chimney lit of lump--even if i am using Stuibbs or K comp. I usually do use lump however.

BTW--just to be heretical K comp is actually my favorite briquet--i stock up when it goes on sale.

Ahh, you'll love the WSM. I do as many on here, fill the ring full, leave an outside portion open for the lit coals, and dump them in. I leave my vents wide open all the time and when my temp gets to 300 or so, I put my meat on. I have a clean fire at this point 95% of the time.
Putting the meat on will bring the temp down a bit, and then I just let 'er rip. None of this 225-235 stuff. 275-325 is okay by me!
Oh, water pan empty. Foil over the top of it.

Can you go into more detail on putting the lit coals in an outside portion of the ring?

Sounds like you just have a cook on it a few more times to get it more seasoned. Nice score on the WSM btw. You arre going to love it. I also use KBB all the time and for the price you can't beat it. Get it on sale and stock up.

Congrats on the WSM I love mine! I run my WSM without a water pan, utilizing a large clay flower pot saucer. I have also changed out my charcoal ring for a custom one from #9 flat expanded metal. This ring was a left over when I was building my UDS. Works great providing increased air flow and additional fuel capacity. I wanted a set and for get it mode with this smoker, so I utilize a Guru. The soaking wood chunks is a myth and does nothing. I don't try and overthink the type of charcoal to use, I just go with whatever is on sale. Enjoy your smoker

[ame]https://youtu.be/rv7y1TWyKEw[/ame]

None of these guys knows what they are talking about and all that WSM info is WRONG!!

You plug in the controller and fill up the hopper with pellets.

IMG_0307.jpg

Set your desired temp and sit back for a couple minutes and add the meats of your choice.

IMG_0348.jpg

Hot 'n Fast giving you the quivers?

IMG_0326.jpg

Low 'n slow got you scrambling?

IMG_0485.jpg

Makin' bacon and want some smoke?

IMG_0399.jpg

struggling with low temps and melting your cheese?

IMG_0478.jpg

Its all just a button push away -

IMG_0481.jpg

....then again, you can always use lump or briqs!

Obviosly there are differnet methods to use any smoker, but I personally use much less lot coals in the chimney starter. I use around 1/4 to 1/3 chimney full of kbb. I let it get good and hot and gray before I put them in the wsm. A small hot fire is better than a large cold fire.

I get to 225-250 in less than 15 mins with all the vents open and it never gets above 275.

This has been a geat thread. I'm new to this site and I'm super impressed with the knowledge of its members. I have limited experience and have been thinking about buying an LSG smoker. After reviewing the thread, I now think it would be better to start with the WSM. It appears to hold temp much better than I would have expected.

Also, great information on how to work with coals and the vents. If someone has a link to a video that would be even better.:-D

None of these guys knows what they are talking about and all that WSM info is WRONG!!

You plug in the controller and fill up the hopper with pellets.

Wow, I haven't looked into WSM mods in a while once I was happy w/ how mine was working. I didn't even know about the pellet mod. I just bought a smoker... this mod may have to wait, but hopefully not long.:thumb: How do you like this mod?

Make sure to use the water pan (as flame deflector) wrapped in foil - some fill it with sand. some use water and some use a terra cotta flower pot base - its all good.
one difference between a WSM and an offset is the WSM allows you more free time to drink :icon_shy

Wow, I haven't looked into WSM mods in a while once I was happy w/ how mine was working. I didn't even know about the pellet mod. I just bought a smoker... this mod may have to wait, but hopefully not long.:thumb: How do you like this mod?

It works flawlessly! And has for the past 2 years for me.

I have the old controller and it works for me, and those with the new PID controller are stoked with the accuracy of it.

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/uds-wsm

Back