Choosing a Grill to Last a Lifetime

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Hey all. Long time, no post. I'm coming into a little inheritance money from my Dad. I wanted to set aside a potion to get something in his honor. BTW he passed in 2015. He was born and raised in The Texas Hill Country but he raised us in Lompoc, CA near Santa Maria. He was famous in our family for his tri tip skills. I thought about a smoker at first then I considered a SM grill from The Homeland. But up here in Idaho SM grills can be a pain in the winter and too hot to hover over in the summer. Ultimately I decided to get something versatile that would be useful year round.

So looking around I checked out The LSG adjustable grill. It seems really versatile. One of the things I find versatile about it is the variety of fuel choices.The price though has me a little freaked.

DSC08509_1568241563862_360x.jpg

I was also checking out the new 20" smoker they have. With the firebox grate and plate and the option of adding charcoal grates inside the cook chamber it can also be very versatile and save me several hundred bucks.

20-x-30-offset-smoker-1-opt_360x.jpg

Does anyone own either of these? Any opinions? Also, any suggestions along these lines are welcome.

What is your budget? That really helps focus things a bunch. Also, are you pellet, stick, or charcoal burner? All three?

Have you considered an IVC? The Cascade Smokers would get a serious look if I lived out West.

What is your budget? That really helps focus things a bunch. Also, are you pellet, stick, or charcoal burner? All three?

Have you considered an IVC? The Cascade Smokers would get a serious look if I lived out West.

Well the first grill is about $3100 shipped. I'd hate to go any higher than that. For this I'd be using charcoal, wood chunks and splits.

A Shirley Fabrication 24x36 would be <$2k plus shipping and would be a good option for a traditional style stick burner. Add a maze and the charcoal and wood chunks would work well.

AZ BBQ Grills has a lot of options on their site that are a lot closer to you but, they are made with 3/16ths stock so, while not light and flimsy, not the 1/4" steel a lot of others use for base material.

My personal choice would be a 20" x 36" offset from LSG. I went back and forth trying to figure out what kind of addition to make to my arsenal (as the wife calls it) of smokers / grills. I'm currently waiting on a mini insulated cabinet from LSG. Originally ordered it back in 2017 but had to cancel. Since then finances have improved so I ordered it once again. We have lots of Red and White Oak around here so I really debated between the off set and a cabinet but ultimately the cabinet won out simply due to it's ability to cook for long periods of time w/o tending the fire as much. That LSG offset would allow you to do many many different types of cooks and the build quality is second to none which will indeed last you a lifetime. 1 vote for the offset. BTW I'm live just up the hwy from your old stompin grounds in Paso Robles and oddly enough am currently looking for a home in / around the Boise area. Small world sometimes.

Last edited:
My personal choice would be a 20" x 36" offset from LSG. I went back and forth trying to figure out what kind of addition to make to my arsenal (as the wife calls it) of smokers / grills. I'm currently waiting on a mini insulated cabinet from LSG. Originally ordered it back in 2017 but had to cancel. Since then finances have improved so I ordered it once again. We have lots of Red and White Oak around here so I really debated between the off set and a cabinet but ultimately the cabinet won out simply due to it's ability to cook for long periods of time w/o tending the fire as much. That LSG offset would allow you to do many many different types of cooks and the build quality is second to none which will indeed last you a lifetime. 1 vote for the offset. BTW I'm live just up the hwy from your old stompin grounds in Paso Robles and oddly enough am currently looking for a home in / around the Boise area. Small world sometimes.
Awesome. I'm actually leaning toward the 20x42. So much you can do with it. I've had to adapt to the climate and scarcity of red oak here but feel I can do a good take on SM style bbq. I think the fire box alone on the 20" series LSG smokers can do a lot of what I want it to be able to do. I think you'll love it up here.

I have the LSG 20x42 and love it. I like the extra 6 inches vs the 20x36. It is well manufactured and Chris is great to work with. I do recommend getting it shipped as it is heavy. Also, get the 8" wheels, temp ports, pull handle, fan port. In hind-site I should have bought the 1/2 in fire grate but I don't expect the 1/4 in to be a problem for a long time. It was about $2300 with shipping. For my birthday my wife got me the charcoal tray, it works well. Best of luck.

I have the LSG 20x42 and love it. I like the extra 6 inches vs the 20x36. It is well manufactured and Chris is great to work with. I do recommend getting it shipped as it is heavy. Also, get the 8" wheels, temp ports, pull handle, fan port. In hind-site I should have bought the 1/2 in fire grate but I don't expect the 1/4 in to be a problem for a long time. It was about $2300 with shipping. For my birthday my wife got me the charcoal tray, it works well. Best of luck.

I will probably go that route. Yesterday though I started wondering about something. I'll probably be using whatever I get to do family bbqs cooking things like chicken pieces, burgers etc. I wonder how much trouble it'll be to use the cook chamber like a regular bbq grill since there's no way to add fuel without pulling out the bottom grate. Everything I get always ends up having something i don't like about it. I can see me kicking myself when I'm grilling some chicken breasts and the fire starts to die down too early and I have to move everything to the top rack to restock with more charcoal. Have you had this happen?

I have not had a problem with having to reload, yet. The LSG also has a grate in the firebox when you remove the griddle for the breasts or cook burgers on the griddle. I have not tried it but it might be possible to put the tray on the bottom grate to use the smaller top grate. Another option is to remove the bottom rack and raise the tray up with some fire brick then you have easier access to the tray. I have had the tray loaded and the firebox going at the same time, you just have to watch the temp in the chamber. Hope this helps.

LSG options are solid and reliable. However, reading your posts still suggests the AZ option is your best bet to me. Heck, I have even considered the Scottsdale with Argentine Grates myself. An Argentine "Santa Maria" with smoker features is very attractive to me.

http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page-1/

Back