Chinese red ribs

Was thinking the same. Way too sweet. Are they even considered bbq?

Yeah, because nobody at a KCBS contest is turning in super sweet tasting ribs. That load of brown sugar they're throwing on them when foiling, is for the savory aspect.

I judged an entry at a local non-sanctioned competition that was a very bad version of Chinese restaurant ribs. Not a pleasant memory :-D

A bad version of anything, is simply bad. Would that entry have scored better if it wasn't 'bad'? Tough to say, but if the super red appearance was a bit off to someone, they could be in trouble.

That's the part that is mind blowing for me. "I wouldn't cook that way at home" if most wouldn't want to serve it for dinner why do they have to serve it for comp.

Does anyone prefer comp bbq to backyard? Anyone? .

If I were a judge, I'd welcome a different approach. I would think a novel break from the standard would be something to hope for...and BE judged on it's own merits.

Who do you think Bbq ed first Asians or Americans? In school I was taught that the west invented things like the printing press and firearms. It's seems comp bbq is the victim of fighting the last battle, everyone chases what did well previously until the standard slowly shifts. I would guess there are few trend setters. I would love to do some comps just to meet new and interesting people but if I had the money it takes I would end up using to feed those in need. One day maybe I'll hit the lotto and can afford to do both.
Actually you can do both. Last year I donated enough to feed quite a few hundred needy.:thumb:
And you need to remember those sugar coated ribs that we turn in are only getting one bite taken out of them (not like eating a half or whole rack at home). Believe me those judges are getting a whole lot of flavor and a zing after the sweetness subsides in the better turnins.:cool:

Actually you can do both. Last year I donated enough to feed quite a few hundred needy.:thumb:

Thanks my statement may have come off wrong, I'm sure many competition BBQ'ers have done more for good causes than I could ever hope to. I was just making a joke about my lack of income.

Everyone for the most part is following the same BBq formula for comps. One day someone bold enough to turn in something out of the box like, Chinese ribs, is going to turn this crazy passion of ours on its ear and everyone will be riding a new bandwagon.

Yeah, because nobody at a KCBS contest is turning in super sweet tasting ribs. That load of brown sugar they're throwing on them when foiling, is for the savory aspect.

If it's all balance right they wouldn't be super sweet. Mine aren't.

By the way ..I see a poster (above ) has referred to when he was judging he got some that were "underdone" .. now ...I hope very much that his opinion of "doneness" did in no way affect his scoring. I hear alot of judges referring to "doneness" ..let's review APPEARANCE - TASTE - TENDERNESS - there is no score for "doneness" whatever that is ...anybody that is judging based on his/her perception of "doneness" should discontinue judging. There ..I said it.

I hope and think all you guys that question flavor and moan about sweetness, should start turning in CBI ESE red ribs... Especially when I am at the comp. Red ribs are not BBQ. They may be ribs, they are not BBQ ribs. Do you compare Popeyes chicken to BBQ chicken?

It's not just about Chinese red ribs. It's the concept that if you don't serve what's expected your taking a risk with the judges. Bbq doesn't have to be sauced thighs, St louis spares, slices from the flat with burnt ends, and pulled pork with sliced money muscle, all topped with blues hog.

Do you compare Popeyes chicken to BBQ chicken?

Popeyes doing their chicken in a stick burner now?

Or is the similarity that they deep fry their chicken, and you can boil thighs in butter at a contest and the judges will really like it?

By the way ..I see a poster (above ) has referred to when he was judging he got some that were "underdone" .. now ...I hope very much that his opinion of "doneness" did in no way affect his scoring. I hear alot of judges referring to "doneness" ..let's review APPEARANCE - TASTE - TENDERNESS - there is no score for "doneness" whatever that is ...anybody that is judging based on his/her perception of "doneness" should discontinue judging. There ..I said it.

I believe "doneness" is a direct component of the tenderness score. If a rib is "underdone" it is tough and chewy, and won't pull from the bone. If a rib is "overdone" it will fall off the bone and perhaps be mushy. The KCBS comment cards even have check boxes under tenderness for undercooked or over cooked.

My $0.02 concerning Chinese ribs ... every Asian-inspired barbecue entry I've judged (and there have been a few) has done poorly, but every one of those entries were cooked or spiced poorly. I'm open to new and innovative flavors, but they still have to possess a well-balanced flavor profile and be cooked well.

That said, when it comes to overall scoring, I think a little experimentation goes a long way. A few weeks ago, I had a chicken entry with a honey mustard based glaze and it scored very well because it was delicious and cooked perfectly. I've judged other mustard-glazed entries that didn't do well because the mustard was too overpowering.

I don't think it's so much about conforming to a certain flavor profile as much as it is making sure your flavor profile is very well balanced.

Fred, I know that you know that we all know what is meant by doneness:loco:

The following quote is often used when KCBS posts notices about upcoming CBJ classes: Tenderness & Doneness, the meat should not lose textural integrity when pinched between two fingers and should not fall off the bone.

Agreed, the scoring is Appearance, Taste and Tenderness.

There is no "balanced" category, so maybe next we should debate the usage of that term when clearly discussing TASTE. How about we get a KCBS ban on the term "flavor profile" while we're at it :biggrin1:

I'm not sure what you guys are so angry about. You have competition BBQ figured out! Some guys have been working at it for years.

1. Put a bunch of the acceptable cuts of meat as outlined above in a box
2. Make sure it is so bad you would be embarrassed to serve it in your backyard
3. Blues Hog the $@!t out of it
4. Collect your check!

You could be the next Rod Gray!

Back