Chicken Legs on the pellet pooper....

MattGoose

Full Fledged Farker
My wife got me a butcher box subscription for Father's Day (and it came early!) and this month has chicken legs.

I've repeatedly failed at making good chicken legs/wings -- and I think I cook them at too low a temp and likely undercook them based on the amount of fat/connective tissue in them.

I need to thaw them out, but I have some time to do at least a quick brine, marinade, etc. I would like to sauce at least a few of them.

Would love some guidance on these and thanks in advance!

Have never brined… but dry rub or marinade them often. If you go with a dry rub, make sure it’s not super high in sugar or you’ll get some scorching. Once you decide that, toss those bad boys on your pooper at 400° start to finish. Pull them when the internal temperature is probing between 185–195°. We love pellet pooper drummies. Apply sauce/glaze last 15 minutes if desired. Either way, good eating!

You might try this.....brine 5lbs wings in 1 gal water, 1 cup salt, 1 cup favorite dry rub for 45 min. We didn't use a pellet smoker, but smoked at 225-250 until done. You can put them under an oven broiler to re-crisp the skin if needed. Toss in bowl of favorite sauce, or just leave them plain/naked.

Back