Chicken and My Rub opinions!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Hey everyone, Hope everybody is having a good week! Today my shipment of Oakridge rubs came in! Ordered Secret Weapon, Gamebird + Chicken, and Comp Beef and Pork! Tried the Gamebird+Chicken, and Secret weapon on some chicken thighs tonight on the WSM! Turned out great!
IMG_0678_zpsxi3i4cno.jpg

Earlier last week I purchased Plowboy's BBQ Yardbird 14oz, Meat Church Holy Cow 10.5oz, Obie-cue's Sweet-N-heat rub 12.4oz, Slap Yo daddy all purpose 11oz, and Slap Yo daddy Jailbird chicken rub 6oz!

Yardbird, and Oakridge Secret weapon is in strong competition for my favorite rub out of the bunch. The two Slap Yo Daddy rubs are real good! the Obi-cue's Sweet-N-Heat is a unique flavor, Smells like cinnamon but its on the sweeter side than heat. For those who like's a Peppery rub Meat Church Holy Cow is a great rub but I personally didn't care for the large amount of pepper flavor to it!

Any of these beats the McCormick Rubs from walmart hands down! Thanks to the guys that helped me choose these rubs! Got a brisket Ordered will be using the Oakridge Comp Beef and pork on it. Wish I ordered the black ops! Maybe someday!

I like Yard Bird on chicken

Yesterday I took chicken thighs, rubbed them down with yard bird, then made a flour mixed with yardbird and made fried chicken in the iron skillet! What an interesting taste but very flavorful! Might try this with the other rubs sometime!

The wife likes the yardbird on everything so far! She's even ate it on baked potato's!

That chicken is as pretty as any chicken I've ever seen. We love Yardbird so much that I buy it in 5 pound bags. It is real good on anything short of ice cream. :biggrin1:

You can also layer multiple rubs for additional flavor profiles.

I'll start with Secret Weapon and then halfway through the cook sprinkle them with Gamebird and Chicken...

You can also layer multiple rubs for additional flavor profiles.

I'll start with Secret Weapon and then halfway through the cook sprinkle them with Gamebird and Chicken...

Man, that sounds interesting. I'll have to try this sometime! Never crossed my mind!!

blazinfire, can I ask the details on how you cooked the chicken? It looks fabulous!
I cooked it on the WSM! Rubbed it down pretty good, 3 with Oak Ridge Secret Weapon, and 4 with Oak Ridge Gamebird+chicken! Once I got the WSM fired up I put the water pan in with no water, just lined it with foil and cooked the chicken on the top rack for 1 1/2 hr. Dome temp was at 350-375. Wasn't overcooked. Still waiting for my Thermapop to arrive in the mail So I couldn't get an internal temp so I left it to cook longer than I probably should have to make sure it was done!

Thanks for the reviews, good looking Chicken. Going to throw a 5lb Turkey Breast on the WSM for dinner.

Well after reading my post again, I apologize for not stating one thing to make the review complete!

The Oak Ridge products will be the first thing to be re-ordered! Their blends is just right with the 3 rubs I ordered from them! I like the slight pepper kick you get with the Gamebird+Chicken. The secret weapon seems to be more on the sweeter side compared to the gamebird.

Wasn't aiming for a review really, but I wanted to give everyone a little bit more information on the oak Ridge products because I didn't say much about it!

Good luck with the turkey breast! Something I've been playing around with since I bought these rubs, is making injection liquid (not sure what to call it) with them for different things. Was pretty interesting!

Well after reading my post again, I apologize for not stating one thing to make the review complete!

The Oak Ridge products will be the first thing to be re-ordered! Their blends is just right with the 3 rubs I ordered from them! I like the slight pepper kick you get with the Gamebird+Chicken. The secret weapon seems to be more on the sweeter side compared to the gamebird.

Wasn't aiming for a review really, but I wanted to give everyone a little bit more information on the oak Ridge products because I didn't say much about it!

Good luck with the turkey breast! Something I've been playing around with since I bought these rubs, is making injection liquid (not sure what to call it) with them for different things. Was pretty interesting!

Thanks for the business, blazinfire!!

Back