Charcuterie question

I am using an older Kitchenaid side by side right now and have no trouble with it.

My preference is over under just for the dimensions of the box, but this is what was available when my last one crapped out. Works just fine.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I can ask in a couple salami/sausage groups I belong to.

I am using an older Kitchenaid side by side right now and have no trouble with it.

My preference is over under just for the dimensions of the box, but this is what was available when my last one crapped out. Works just fine.

So itll work but maybe not the most ideal. Im going to go for it.

Sounds like any equipment bought can be transferred to a new unit so when the ideal cabinet comes along its just a matter of moving it?

Yea, Ninja. It can all get moved.. The only downside is drilling holes in the fridge for the wires/cords, etc. And nobody in the sausage groups could think of anything wrong with it either. If you need any help, just shout! You're gonna love it

In preparation for some dried sausage, I figured I needed some tools. So, toys came in today...

Had to do some chores so I can play tomorrow though...

Benefit is I get to restock some Pecan...

I'm getting ready to do some bacon this weekend, if I remember correctly I read somewhere on here that the recommended cure time is 1/4" per day of thickness plus two days, or if I have a 3" skinless belly I should be looking at an 8 day cure.

Is this correct?

3 inch........damn, wish I could find something that thick down here.

You will be fine with that. I know you are doing an EQ cure, so you can go longer without worry if you need to, but yeah, 8 days will get it done.

Good luck.

Speaking of equilibrium cure, do you have a formula you can share? I don't see enough that agree online (or i'm looking in the wrong spot) to give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

2.5% kosher or sea salt and 0.25% cure is pretty standard.

Yes.

Personally, I like bacon a little saltier than this, but its a great place to start. Try 2.5%. Want it saltier next time? Try 3%. Less salty? go to 2% Find what you like.

Beyond Salt level, the world is your oyster. I like a nice salty sweet balance, so I will add 2 % brown sugar, and about 1% black pepper and garlic for some savory.. Maybe red pepper flakes and onion in the .5 to 1% range. Play around, have some fun, possibilities are endless

3 inch........damn, wish I could find something that thick down here.

You will be fine with that. I know you are doing an EQ cure, so you can go longer without worry if you need to, but yeah, 8 days will get it done.

Good luck.

Haha, I might not have made it clear that that was just a hypothetical example, I have not weighed it or measured it's thickness, just wanted to make sure I was in the right ball park for time. :biggrin1:

Well, if you don't start somewhere, you'll never get started. So, I ordered the inkbird temp and humidity controllers, got a tiny dehumidifier and fabricobbled up an ultrasonic mist humidifier. I think total cost is around $90 because I had the other stuff lying about. However, like I was told here, once ya get all the stuff inside the fridge...there's not much room for any meat!

Started some lonzino with a small pork loin. did an equilibrium (2.5%) salt cure with peppercorns, bay leaves, and juniper berries for ~10 days. No spare fridge, so hanging in the cool basement to dry.

Started out at about 2.5 lbs. So far, so good. 2 days, and no mold, or off smells

95E4A4A5-4677-4C9C-ADD9-7D6645D8BC4B_zpsbpxvwcsq.jpg

now the hard part...

Back