Charcoal Taste vs. Wood Taste

the Kingsford Lump Briqs are dynamite. Runs super clean in both the Akorn and UDS. Whether hot and fast or minion- there is a huge difference in flavor quality vs Blue

I've had a PBC for a few years. Use the KBB as recommended, and have used lump as well. There is a definite charcoal flavor but I didn't find it overpowering the eat. However, I like to use a couple of wood chunks as well, and cut down the amount of coal. Perhaps that will give you better flavor.

I think the type of cooker plays into it as well. I use Kingsford in my Pitmaker and when I have a clean burning fire I don't get any charcoal flavour at all on a long, minion method cook. Just sweet smoke from the wood. I get a more noticeable charcoal flavour using lump in my kamado. It's very sublime but its there.

yeah I'm on board as well. Ditch Kingsford and go with lump. I have used cheapo knock off brands of lump that had better flavor on food than Kingsford.

Wow there seems to be a lot of dislike for charcoal, but I like it. I've never used KBB, I use the kingsford professional, and used to use royal oak lump. I did noticed a slight taste difference, but nothing major.

Well i will be the subject of scorn and say i love charcoal, have no idea what you are talking about. But maybe if i had a stick burner i would like it more, not sure.

Yes. It will be passive aggressive scorn. The ones that do it are subtle as to seem helpful. But they still look down upon.

Wow there seems to be a lot of dislike for charcoal, but I like it. I've never used KBB, I use the kingsford professional, and used to use royal oak lump. I did noticed a slight taste difference, but nothing major.

It is not a dislike for charcoal which is technically lump. Briquets are an artificial form or charcoal originally made from industrial waste and are a significantly different product.

They have their place, but there are some big negatives that you need to work around as well. Lump charcoal has its pluses and minuses, and wood splits do as well. You should be able to cook with any of them, but for certain tasks one is better than the others.

Wood rules. Charcoal drools. I don't have be passive aggressive.... ill just be aggressive aggressive.

Not everything is equal. Things can be better, if even in my own mind and i wont apologize for it.

I can taste raw charcoal, even in a clean minion burn. That makes charcoal sub par to me.

Wood rules. Charcoal drools. I don't have be passive aggressive.... ill just be aggressive aggressive.

Not everything is equal. Things can be better, if even in my own mind and i wont apologize for it.

I can taste raw charcoal, even in a clean minion burn. That makes charcoal sub par to me.

Awesome!! I've seen a lot of sub par cooks you've made then :loco:. Love the hard core guys. My favorite :clap2:. Keep rocking!!!

You're very sly ninja (by nature of course) ;) ... With your passive aggressive nature you must be looking down on upon people. :biggrin1: As long as it's pointed out that's what you're actually doing though it's all good! lol

Awesome!! I've seen a lot of sub par cooks you've made then :loco:. Love the hard core guys. My favorite :clap2:. Keep rocking!!!

Im aware of my transgressions. Life has even forced me to cook on gassers. And then there was my burned chicken phase.

Ill never forget my roots. Grillin with kingsford on a weber. The boiled ribs were a hit back then...then again we used to smoke reggies too :becky:

My how times have changed

Im aware of my transgressions. Life has even forced me to cook on gassers. And then there was my burned chicken phase.

Ill never forget my roots. Grillin with kingsford on a weber. The boiled ribs were a hit back then...then again we used to smoke reggies too :becky:

My how times have changed
Still not liking how it might be conceived as looking down on the way people cook. You might hurt feelings... If only there was some posters on here that we could nominate as the "PC Morality Police" Hmmmm I'll think of who we could nominate...right now it's a head scratcher. :)

Still not liking how it might be conceived as looking down on the way people cook. You might hurt feelings... If only there was some posters on here that we could nominate as the "PC Morality Police" Hmmmm I'll think of who we could nominate...right now it's a head scratcher. :)

Ya I totally get what you are saying Keith. I mean your post on how you look down upon it, yet still use it for "products you are developing" (for potential consumers you want to actually buy your product as to not silo your offering by just marketing to the niche of straight bbq stickburners since that would greatly limit the bbq market in search of a new product in the already over diluted bbq product market) is genius. So making money off those with lesser knowledge is totes cool :thumb:. Or will it eventually be a 100% stick burner product and the charcoal is just for "research" to see what fuels work best?

No you won't be scorn. lol For most of my BBQ life I've used nothing but charcoal and wood chips/chunks, NOW I only use wood(for my personal cooks) I have to use charcoal for test cooks for the products I'm developing. It might seem comical to some ...maybe not but it is very difficult for me to do the charcoal cooks because I'm spoiled with wood split cooks. Hope that makes sense.

Thank for stealing my line. :grouphug:. I hope the peons enjoy your products Keith!!
My products can be used for whatever heat source someone wants to use. Do I have to do cooks even on gas grills YES... Do I prefer that? No sir I don't, I prefer certain other types of cookers best. Like ninja said it best...I won't apologize for it
That's the beauty of it,it will be great for whatever someone uses.

I'm sure glad you're around to tell me how I think and play morality/ Political correctness policeman.

Ninja..I nominate Jason TQ. Fully qualified.

I believe people want to use what works best for their needs and likes NOT what I like. As long as it benefits someone that's what my goal is.

My products can be used for whatever heat source someone wants to use. Do I have to do cooks even on gas grills YES... Do I prefer that? No sir I don't, I prefer certain other types of cookers best. Like ninja said it best...I won't apologize for it
That's the beauty of it,it will be great for whatever someone uses.

I'm sure glad you're around to tell me how I think and play morality/ Political correctness policeman.

Ninja..I nominate Jason TQ. Fully qualified.

Man that means a lot coming from you Keith!! Thanks for being great!!

Back