THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Looks like Hurricane Isabel is on track to threaten B2 - or at least my trip to B2. We'll know more by Sunday -- she could be HERE around Tuesday in which case she'll be out of my way by Friday :D Assuming I still have a house.

Anyway, with non-refundable SW Airline tickets this threat to my travel doesn't surprise me a bit :(

I'm hoping she turns north a bit -- but I certainly don't wish a CAT V direct hit on anyone on the east coast.

My understanding was you guys on the West coast were lucky in having the east coast to break up most hurricanes. Usually just a lot of rain by the time they hit you aren't they?

Usually, but one like this will just screw everything up. Depends on where it hits and how fast it's moving. Also depends on which quadrant of the storm you get.

Main thing is that it can screw up my flight out of here no matter which way it goes :(

Gripe, gripe, gripe :D

Everything is survivable. I was on the bridge of a submarine moored in Charleston while my family was at home in North Charleston. Phones worked all night long. My house got one pane of glass cracked. Next morning took 3 hrs to get home in what should have been a 20 minute trip. House took in so much water that we openned all the doors and windows and could't shut them for 4 days because of the wood swelling.

If anyone is in the path be ready to cook all your food within 3 days. Pick some neighbors you think have good food in their freezers. Leave all of the freezers shut except the one your eating. Then each afternoon cook everything you can in the freezer and fridge and have everyone pig out on it. That way everyone gets to eat instead of rhrowing out the food. We went 2 weeks before we got power back. It only took one week to get water.

Tonights weather says it may pass thru here on Fiday... so with some luck, Saturday/Sunday will be hot, sunny and humid. keep the fingers crossed. I have a camper coming on Friday that sleeps 4-5.

I'll set up a 12x20 foot tent on the deck and a couple 10 footers over the pit area.

Basement is fully finished, with a regulation pool table, shuffle board, darts and a fully stocked bar. I'll run out this week and get a generator, just in case. So, we ruff it a little if need be. Trick is getting Bills bathroom finished before Wednesday. Right now all thars there are studs, wiring and insulation.

Nope I ain't getting stressed.. nope not me..

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
:x

Guess we'll be making some decisions by mid-week. My tickets are non-refundable so I'll probably try and come up if at all possible -- maybe I could get credit and use them for a later SW flight.

I know we're making light of the situation but Isabel is one big, nasty, and dangerous storm. Last time I checked she's got 150mph winds and winds are only part of the problem. She's gonna pack some huge storm surge/surf and probably lots of rain.

I grew up in Florida, had Hurricane Donna come right over my hometown 1960 on her second shot at Florida before heading up to New England. I spent 7 years on Okinawa and we averaged about 3 typhoon threats a year. These storms are not fun and not funny and should be taken very seriously by those potentially in the path. Heck, when we got back to the U.S. in 1988 we had hurricane Gilbert come visit all the way up in San Antonio, TX, and San Antonio is 180 miles from the Gulf of Mexico.

So, if you're the praying type please pray for safety for the folks in the path of Isabel. On a lighter side, pray that we'll be able to have B2 on schedule. :D

Southwest will allow you to push it forward, for up to one year.

I do it all the time. Non refundable, but you can reschedule.

Might be a 24 hour thing though. Must push 24 hours prior to flight time.

I usually pick a date 3 months out, cuz you can get flight numbers and stuff, then push another 3 if needed.

Had a special mpeg for the group but could not post it. Doesn't except files with .mpv extension. Thats to bad cause it was my best yet. :mrgreen:

Come Wed or Thurs, I might be dropping out depending on weather.

Ain't no way I'm taking Friday off to sit in an airport waiting for the east coast airports to open backup.

So ParrotHead, put me down for a conditional "maybe" for the seafood bash. Nice and safe in the flat state of Illinois. (until Tornado season of course)

Yeah, if B2 gets "rained out" my spouse wants to visit friends up in New Hampshire in October -- haven't seen them in years and they had a cancer scare recently -- it's time to renew our friendship. Besides, we've never done New England in the fall :D Gotta see the leaves!

I'm hoping for B2 but planning for another reason not to go to work :D

I just checked. Anyone flying Southwest, you can use the funds on that confirm number for up to one year from date of purchase.

Might change mine to apply to a flight to Vegas for that KCBS dealy, but the room rates that weekend are a little out of hand.

hmmm...damn it. I'm taking Delta from St. Louis to Atlanta to NY. That could be real messy.

Fark! I'm not flying out till Saturday though. So I guess I've got that benefit.

nthole said:
hmmm...damn it. I'm taking Delta from St. Louis to Atlanta to NY. That could be real messy.

Fark! I'm not flying out till Saturday though. So I guess I've got that benefit.

Yeah, I use to fly alot more than now, and remember sitting in airports for hours anyway as it takes a day or two after a storm for things to get back in order. So theres a chance it could be farked coming and going, regardless of whether it hits Thurs, Fri, etc.

Will Delta alow you to push it a week if you had too?

I'm trying come hell or high water. If you guys don't make just that much more rice for me to eat. So try your best I'm counting on ya. :lol:

brd1958 said:
I'm trying come hell or high water. If you guys don't make just that much more rice for me to eat. So try your best I'm counting on ya. :lol:

I will try, but I don't have the power to keep airports open and keep flights from getting canceled.

If I were driving, I would be a for sure. But I ain't flying in to no farking hurricane just to see Hugh.

Back