THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeff H

Full Fledged Farker
This story started about a week ago, I had a 5 lb loin in the freezer and wanted to use it up.

Only cure I could get locally was Morton's Tenda Quick so I went with it and followed the morton recipe- 1Tbsp Tenda Quick and 1tsp sugar per pound. Pretty simple.
morton-tender-quick-two-pound-bag.png

All rubbed down with the cure and into the fridge for 4 days.

20151122_192244.jpg

Rinsed off and back in the fridge for 24 more hours to dry out.

20151127_122003.jpg

On to the smoker at 250-260 with Apple and a little oak.

20151127_122058.jpg

Pulled them at 145 degrees and let them rest for 30 minutes.

20151127_140955.jpg

20151127_140945.jpg

No real smoke ring, but I intentionally wasn't trying for that super smokey flavor. This is just about perfect for breakfasts.

20151127_144413.jpg

Already looking forward to the next one.

Maybe I'll try curing a turkey next time. That would be interesting.

My only comment is that I would like it to be a bit less salty. Maybe just a little less Tenda Quick than recommended next time.

Sure looks good from here! I'd love to make an Eggs Benedict or two with some of that!

Jeff H those look wonderful. Great Job.:clap: The problem with Morton tender quick, IMO, is the excess salt as it's already premixed for you. I don't like to change the amounts called for in a recipe as there are usually what's required for that particular recipe. To control the amount of salt try using cure #1. There are recipes out there for that cure. You could also soak the loin in water to help remove some of the salt, prior to smoking. Happy bacin makin. Tom

Jeff H those look wonderful. Great Job.:clap: The problem with Morton tender quick, IMO, is the excess salt as it's already premixed for you. I don't like to change the amounts called for in a recipe as there are usually what's required for that particular recipe. To control the amount of salt try using cure #1. There are recipes out there for that cure. You could also soak the loin in water to help remove some of the salt, prior to smoking. Happy bacin makin. Tom
Just cured some pork belly in TQ, used a tablespoon of brown sugar in place of the teaspoon I used on my last batch. Last batch was salty, this one couldn't taste any salt...

That was the original plan i had a recipe all picked out but apparently Prague #1 isnt avaiable locally and i didnt know this until i hit 4 stores looking for it. This was all i could find.

All in all, I'm pleased with the result, but curing salt is definately on my list of items to buy on the next internet order.

Only cure I could get locally was Morton's Tenda Quick so I went with it and followed the morton recipe- 1Tbsp Tenda Quick and 1tsp sugar per pound. Pretty simple.
morton-tender-quick-two-pound-bag.png

Jeff,

I think Tender Quick is great for the beginner or for those who do not have an accurate scale. Because it is a bonded pre-mix is makes it very difficult to make mistakes and cause illness if you follow the directions on the package. This is especially true with using it as a wet curing brine.

Salt is required for an effective cure, so I think your main issue is that maybe you are not adding enough sugar. Sugar is normally added at 1-2% in relation to the weight. Sugar also plays a small role in curing, it offsets the harshness of salt and combines with oxygen easily which helps to preserve the red color of meat.

My only comment is that I would like it to be a bit less salty. Maybe just a little less Tenda Quick than recommended next time.

If you change the amount you use the next time you are also reducing the amount of nitrite in the cure, which could possibly cause other problems. I wouldn't change the amount but rather I would suggest a couple alternatives below.

As far as the salt content, as others indicated above, simply soaking the meat in clean cold ice water for 2 hours will reduce the salt content drastically. I sometimes even use a second soak if I am curing a dense muscle like the loin. Even with mixing my own cures by weight, I sometimes soak depending on the product.

Another option is to use Morton Sugar Cure which is more suited for bacon and some types of ham. However you can simply just add any type of sugar to the Morton Tender Quick, white, brown, turbinado, maple sugar, or honey to cut the edge and add the desired flavor.

You have to remember that Tender Quick is also used for making corned beef and some types of country ham which are somewhat slightly salty by nature without any sweetness, so there isn't any sugar to make a noticeable difference in flavor.

Last edited:
That's the way I do it. Don't change the recommended ratio. It's there for a reason. If it's to salty for your taste just soak more.

That was the original plan i had a recipe all picked out but apparently Prague #1 isnt avaiable locally and i didnt know this until i hit 4 stores looking for it. This was all i could find.

All in all, I'm pleased with the result, but curing salt is definately on my list of items to buy on the next internet order.

For future reference....when looking for Cure/Prague #1 look at a butcher shop. You won't find it at grocery stores.

Back