Can anyone break down the details of a smoker temp controller for me?

sketty55

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
sketty55
Hi everyone, happy cooking!

My Napoleon is about 12 years old and I'm thinking about making the switch to a smoker. In the interim, I bought an a-maz-n smoke tube, and some lumberjack pellets and will try my first smoke in my Napoleon to see if it's something I like.

I'm already assuming I will like it and looking at options. I've read great things about some of the pellet smokers like Grilla and Rec Tec but some say that they don't produce the smokiness of something like a Weber Smokey Mountain. However the trade off is that you need to baby sit.

Now I'm reading that the workaround for the WSM is a temp controller such as a Flame Boss. I took a look at their site and I understand that these units will maintain the temps, but I dont' understand how it actually does this, and why most people would not just opt for a WSM\temp controller combo vs a pellet grill. Sounds like a win win to me. Appreciate if anyone can provide some details. Thanks!

A forced draft temp controller either mounts to an existing intake, or to a separate adapter. The fan is connected to the brain box, as are several probes, one of which is a pit probe which clips on the grate. You start a normal fire in your cooker, and let it burn awhile. You program in the desired pit temp hook up the fan and the pit probe essentially talks to the fan through the brain box and the fan cycles on and off. When your desired pit temp is reached the fan only cycles on for a few seconds at a time if the pit temp drops a couple of degrees, and cycles off when the pit temp is restored. As your charcoal burns down, the fan might stay on 20 seconds or so in order to restore the pit temp. Other probes can monitor meat temps. And various models have additional options and features.

I have an older analog temp controller and although they are not necessary, they sure give some assurance on overnight cooks.

Two things: First, great description and I have not used one, but I have seen them at the dozen comps I competed in. They used them for there briskets on WSM, I am a recent owner of a grilla grill and very happy with the smoke at 250. Nothing like a stick burner for great brisket. IMO. I am going to do a brisket saturday on the stick burner... Enjoy whatever you decide!

I have a WSM and just got a pellet grill. My rationale was for my quick cooks my pg will be ready to cook in all of 10 minutes. There are several meals I don't have an hour to allow the pit to come to temp. That was my reasoning.

I also have both a pellet grill and a WSM 22. I also have a Digi-Q temp control for my WSM. I use my Pellet grill for things like burgers, dogs, and fish. Most every thing else goes on the WSM. With the Digi-Q I can maintain rock steady temps. I have found that I really enjoy cooking on my WSM, plus the food that comes off of it has been great. I did retro fit a Savannah Stoker PID controller on my pellet grill so I do get pretty darn good temp control. I also use a amazin smoke tube if I want a stronger smoke profile.But it just is not as enjoyable of a cook. For me BBQ is about 60% the cook, 40% the food.

I’m a long time WSM cook and have used it with a CyberQ and without. Just got my first pellet cooker so I’m far from an expert there. I can say that pellet coolers are faster and easier beyond a shadow of a doubt. A WSM with an ArborFabrication charcoal basket and a CyberQ is a slow smoking machine that makes great Q. On the other hand so is a MAK. If you want to play with fire - go WSM. IF you want conciseness go MAK. HEck, get both. It’s the Brethren way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back