Camping and cooking in the desert (long)

campdude

Babbling Farker
It was a beautiful weekend out in the SoCal desert. We missed most of the fantastic bloom from all the rains, but there were some blooms left.
1NBAEw6.jpg

Pulled into camp Friday morning and set up. Grilled some wings with Plowboys Yardbird for a quick lunch while finishing set up and cracking the first beer.
cSDYZzM.jpg

Love this place.
ZVElm1S.jpg

After a couple of beers, I prepped a full rack of spares with a combo of Cimarron Doc's sweet rib rub and BPS sweet money. Put them into the ECB with the mesquite lump I got at Costco. In about 4 1/2 hours I started to slather with some Blues Hog original.
KCwFhRu.jpg

Turned and slathered for about a half an hour. Plated with a sweet potato and some ABT's.
B57D22A.jpg

Somehow missed pics of breakfast. Bacon, diced potatoes, onions, and jalapeno fried in bacon grease with some scrambled eggs. Did some hiking then came back to prep a chuck roast for shredded beef tacos. Ground ancho and chipotle chilis with onion, garlic, Mexican oregano, and some salt.
n7Z2u06.jpg

6MxDvPp.jpg

About 4 hours later, started on the braising liquid. Mixed Tecate with some barrel aged imperial stout.
atK1DuV.jpg

bT3Tkjb.jpg

Brought it up to a simmer and added seasonings.
CV8cCi1.jpg

All went into a foil pan, covered, and back on the smoker for another hour or so.
SGsfUPc.jpg

Done and fork tender. It got pulled apart and over the hot coals to thicken and reduce the liquid.
RWifC5f.jpg

Plated with some cheese and salsa fresca, ABT's and chips. Started with one, went back for another.
xnq6aOR.jpg

Afternoon at camp.
mLcISih.jpg

hQlEROX.jpg

Next morning I whipped up some machaca with the leftover beef.
Onions, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeno.
o2bFnzS.jpg

Added in the beef, then the scrambled eggs.
Tdn0XJ9.jpg

tXZimAq.jpg

Breakfast tacos.
HxRW4hO.jpg

A really fantastic weekend. Of course some good whisky for the evenings around the campfire.
KnanBcS.jpg

Thanks for looking and have a good one.

That is camping in style What is the Temp there this time of year I hope you did not mix that awesome scotch with that water :biggrin1:

looks good. one of the things i love most about camping is being able to prep/cook all day with nothing else to do or be distracted with. no soccer games or errands to get in the way.

Wow, you sure knnow how to rock your screen name! Did you have any uninvited guests like mountain loins smelling all that good food? First class all the way Sir!

Looks like a great time in a beautiful location with prime looking food!!!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fantastic, Marty! Looks like you had a great time, especially this time of year...

looks good. one of the things i love most about camping is being able to prep/cook all day with nothing else to do or be distracted with. no soccer games or errands to get in the way.
One of the things I love also.
That's how it's done right there!
Thanks
Looks like a great trip!!!
I have that same bowl in the prepped chuck pic!! lol
Must have all the necessary items to have an enjoyable weekend.
That looks like a great weekend with great food!

Awesome Marty, what a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks guys

Back