Camper/Toy Hauler vs. Cargo Trailer

Lots depends on the depth of your pockets for sure! Here's my cooking evolution. Cooked out of the back of my Chevy 1500 (had a topper on the back). Bought a 7x16 v-nose trailer and did it up the way I wanted (no facilities). Got into a bit of trailer trouble and moved up to a Chevy 2500 diesel truck (still with a topper on the back). Cooked this way until 2009 when the pellet Jambo was ready, went back to cooking out of the back of the truck and hauling the cooker behind. LOVED the fuel savings! HATED setup work and time it took. Got lucky and won a GC and down payment on a Sprinter Class B RV. It was new, but 2-1/2 years old on the lot, so got 1/3 off the top of retail price. First contest with it was Ashland, MS in the spring of 2009. Having facilities and ready to use kitchen and bed was phenominal! Better than that, I got 4-5 miles more per gallon with the Sprinter than with the 2500. 550 actual travel miles to a tank (26.5 gal.) of fuel. Since I'm a solo female cook, there's another big advantage to travelling this way. If I need to find a Walmart to sleep, all I have to do is park, lock and sleep. I'd love to have a bigger RV (Winnebago Trend is calling my name), but this one has been a peach!

You might take a look at the Forest River Work and Play trailers. They are a low slung toy hauler or car hauler with living quarters depending on how you look at it. That's probably our next one. I've also been looking as some of the ice fishing trailers that drop down. They would be very stable and only have a very small step up when lowered, but the ones I've seen are expensive for their size and features.

I have the 40ft Work and Play 5th wheel and really like it BUT if I was doing it over, I'd go the cook trailer route like Moyers.

I'm with Candy. I went RV route and mounted my smoker back on a trailer. So much easier. Plus I would say that if I had to get rid of it a rv or camper would sell faster than a custom cooking trailer. Imo

Recently purchased a Forest River Work And Play off of Craig's list only problem I had to buy a new smoker.:-D

Check out the Brethren Sales and Venture section. Click on the top thread. There are alot of good smokers for sale right now.
You will love the toy hauler.

I know that most of the toy haulers have walls seperating the sleeping area, but does the smoke still get into the sleeping /kitchen area? Is it enough to effect resell?

I know that most of the toy haulers have walls seperating the sleeping area, but does the smoke still get into the sleeping /kitchen area? Is it enough to effect resell?

I found that a good cleaning with Simply Green goes a long way to get the smoke smell out. Be sure to wash the walls, floor and ceiling.

Back