Cajun bandit thoughts?

krex1010

is Blowin Smoke!
Hoping for some info from my fellow weber users. I currently have an 18 wsm and a 22" kettle. I'm looking to increase my versatility when it comes to larger cuts of meat. I was debating getting a 22"wsm, or a Cajun bandit for my current wsm or kettle. The big wsm looks awesome, I have no doubt that thing would do exactly what I want....however I'm a practical fellow, if I can make my current cookers do what I want then that's my first choice. The 18" wsm is an awesome cooker but the grate size is an issue, I can make it work but I'd like to have the ability to not cut ribs in half or drap things over a rib rack to make them fit. The kettle is a great cooker too, I have no issues keeping temps where I want them and making it work, but there again, a good portion of the grate can't be used when I set it up for smoking. So I'm considering a Cajun bandit and hanging racks for the 18" wsm or a Cajun bandit for the kettle and using a heat shield of some sort under the meat, I'm assuming the Cajun bandit can sit on top of a cooking grate? So I could have a grate in its original spot and use that for a water pan or other baffle and then cook on the grate on top of the bandit. Any advice would be appreciated and I'd love to hear from anyone who has a Cajun bandit product.

I only have the rotisserie ring but the stacker will make the kettle into a dandy little vertical cooker without question.

Now that I'm thinking about this, adding fuel may be an issue with the Cajun bandit/kettle combo

Now that I'm thinking about this, adding fuel may be an issue with the Cajun bandit/kettle combo
setting up the charcoal minion style like in a UDS you wouldn't have to add fuel. If you did have to add fuel then just lift off the stacker, refuel and set it back on.

I asked the same question before I got my 22 WSM. The answer then was that the 22 WSM would be the better way to go since it is easier to stabilize temps. I have no regrets and love my kettle and WSM setup.

If you order the Charcoal Ring along with the Stacker and diffuser you can load it up to where you won't need to add more fuel. Like you I have the 18.5 and loaded up I've never had to add fuel for cooks. I installed the Cajun Bandit door it's a quality piece.

22.5 WSM gives you 2 grate levels but you have the 18.5 for over flow on larger cooks.

I'd get the bigger wsm. 2 smokers and a kettle is better than a smoker and a kettle. Also for larger cuts of meat the 18 is still going to be too narrow to lay most of them flat if you aren't hanging every time. I think it'd be hard to hang a brisket wrapped in butcher paper if you were ever to go that route.

Another vote for the bandit. Don't over think the fuel issue, as others have stated, you know how to build a fire that lasts, so adding to it is almost never necessary. The times that you do want access, you can lift the whole works off of the kettle base, if you're a generally physically able individual. Just my 2 cents

I have the CB stacker that fits my 18.5 WSM. It adds a lot of capacity & I might add, it can be inverted and used on the 18.5 and Jumbo Joe kettles.

If you like hanging full racks of ribs, it will serve you well.

I have never used the stacker for the 18.5 for hanging brisket, however I made a stacker for my 14.5 & have hung small briskets in it ( trimmed 12 lb). They shrink quite a bit & can be wrapped & put flat on the top rack later in the cook. It worked well. I would think a stacked 18.5 would cook most briskets up to 18 lbs (maybe larger) just fine if you didn't want to drape them over a rib rack and wanted to hang them.

Here's a pic of my stacked 14.5, stacked 18.5 WSM & stacked 14.5 kettle:

PICT0503_zpsl72eizog.jpg

You can see how much extra capacity the 18.5 WSM has with the CB stacker - it's huge. For me, no need for a 22.5 WSM.
fwiw - the 14.5 sees most of the action these days as I cook for wifey & myself most of the time.

I bought a cheap stick burner last fall & while I love my Webers, the stick burner cooks the most amazing brisket. Wouldn't think of doing a brisket on anything else.

Last edited:
Thank for all the replies fellas, this forum is awesome for bouncing ideas around.....as much as I'd love a new 22"wsm I just can't justify it, I'm a minimalist at heart so I think a Cajun bandit for one of my existing cookers will work out. I rarely cook for more than 10 people, and with brisket prices darn near filet prices up here I may cook 2 briskets a year. I think I'm leaning towards a CB for the kettle, this will let me cook a large brisket or full racks of ribs flat on a grate. I think this will give me the versatility I need, without adding another cooker.

Back