Brisket's pink smoke ring

Texan79423

Take a breath!
I smoke a 15 pound brisket hot and fast @280-300 for 9 1/2 hours on my stick burner. Took IT to 203 degree and it probed like butter. Got a really pink smoke ring I mean titty pink. I wanted a good dark bark instead of my normal mahogany color so never wrapped it and with a clean fire it was not a meteorite. Wrapped in foil at finish and threw in cooler for @ 3 hours.

I have smoked many briskets in 30 years all my smoke rings have been a reddish color I don't remember getting such a pink ring.

Attachments

• smoke ring.jpg
    smoke ring.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 342
That looks like it spent some time with tender quick on it before it hit the smoker.

No tender quick. My pit always gives me a smoke ring. Here is another picture of a past brisket the ring is a darker red and more pronounced. Side by side comparison.

Attachments

• 2019-1.jpg
    2019-1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 259
  • smoke ring.jpg
    smoke ring.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 254
The color comes from the meat. The NO and CO from the smoke binds to the myoglobin and prevents the red pigments from turning grey as the meat cooks. Your lack of deep red is most likely because of a lower amount of myoglobin in the meat.

DSC09769a.jpg

Your photo kind of resembles this smoke ring (actually it's more like a nitrite ring), but wait.... this brisket was sort of an edible science experiment using Tender Quick but with NO smoke, wood, charcoal what so ever. I doctored this flat with TQ (which has nitrites and nitrates), rinsed and rested a couple of hours, seasoned with pepper and celery salt (which has nitrites), then double wrapped in foil and baked it at 275° in my oven.

Interesting science there. I just figured it was caused by the clean fire running around 280-300 the pit has very little blue smoke and produces no white smoke as I keep logs hot sitting on top of the firebox.

How well-seasoned was your wood? It may have been too dry to produce a darker ring. Did your meat go on cold? Did you do anything different from previous cooks?

Interesting science there. I just figured it was caused by the clean fire running around 280-300 the pit has very little blue smoke and produces no white smoke as I keep logs hot sitting on top of the firebox.

Looks great!
Don't listen to the jealous commenters, trying to insinuate that it's a fake ring. Keep on doing it the way you like it.:clap2:

Looks great!

Don't listen to the jealous commenters, trying to insinuate that it's a fake ring. Keep on doing it the way you like it.:clap2:

Agreed looks great! I’ve seen this myself cooking 2 at the same time. One had a red ring the other pink with the same rubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to me the real question is how did it taste? Did it have good flavor? Was it tender and moist? Did it pull apart nicely? It’s hard to beat red when you’re going for pretty, but pink and juicy is known to melt in your mouth [emoji12]...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In an offset cooker, nothing about that ring seems unusual to me

If I'm coming fat side down, I almost expect that nowadays. I don't know if what I do is different, but whatever I do with brisket and this offset smoker produces that ring as well.

Smoke on!

Rb

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back