Brisket time!

jbounds286

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Josh
haven't done a brisket in a few years, mainly due to my inconsistent results each time and they have been $$$!

wife sent me this pic from costco today, so I'm heading over after work to do some shopping!

going to try a new method to me...going to smoke it to about 190 IT, pull it, wrap it in tallow soaked paper, then wrapped in foil, and into my DIY sous vide warmer(basically a cooler with a sous vide keeping the water at 160 keeping the air temp at 155)

then ill hold it there for about 12 to 16 hours. going to try either this weekend or next! or both!

Attachments

• messages_0 (12).jpg
    messages_0 (12).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 458
my DIY sous vide warmer(basically a cooler with a sous vide keeping the water at 160 keeping the air temp at 155)

Explain the set up please. Pictures if possible.

Do you have any idea the relative humidity or wet bulb temperature?

Thanks

basically just a cooler with a hole in the top, the sous vide heats the water which sits just below the rack line where the brisket will sit

did a test for 2 hours and the air temp just sat at 154/155 the entire time once it got up to temp

Attachments

• IMG_20230317_182659.jpg
    IMG_20230317_182659.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_20230317_182711.jpg
    IMG_20230317_182711.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 414
basically just a cooler with a hole in the top, the sous vide heats the water which sits just below the rack line where the brisket will sit

did a test for 2 hours and the air temp just sat at 154/155 the entire time once it got up to temp

Nice setup. I've seen Smoke Trails BBQ do something similar with a larger decommissioned freezer. Definitely something I'd like to do in the future, but will settle for my turkey roaster for now.

ok the original cooler was way too small, had to build another one, this one holds the temp better too, and i dont feel the heat coming thru the top or sides

just waiting on our group to be available to come help eat so we can test it out!

Attachments

• messages_0 (16).jpg
    messages_0 (16).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 290
Question

I'm a bit slow to grasp the concept. Are you setting the wrapped brisket on the wire rack in such a manner that it is above the water line. Thanks

I'm a bit slow to grasp the concept. Are you setting the wrapped brisket on the wire rack in such a manner that it is above the water line. Thanks

yes. the idea will be to smoke the brisket to between 180 and 190 IT, wrap in tallow soaked paper, into a foil pan sealed with foil, then into the "cooler"(warmer in this case) to hold at 150 for 10 to 20 hours to finish, basically a DIY alto shaam for $200, the sous vide is able to heat the water and hold the air temp in the cooler laser steady

That's a very cool concept. Does the air temperature in the cooler hold at exactly the same temperature as the sous vide setpoint?

That's a very cool concept. Does the air temperature in the cooler hold at exactly the same temperature as the sous vide setpoint?

i set the sous vide at 155, and it holds the air temp at 150, about a 5 degree difference, but it...DOES....NOT....MOVE....!

still waiting on trying this out, friend had to have surgery so it pushed our plans back, will update when its been done!

Back