Brisket time per pound at 250F?

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
I have a pellet pooper that has been less consistent recently. It tends to have temp spikes when I try to cook at 225 so I’m going to do tonight’s cook at 250.

I have a 16 lb brisket that I trimmed down to about 14 lbs. dry brining in the fridge today. It’s got a nice thick flat that is pretty uniform from side to side.

I am going to cook overnight and want to pull it off the cooker early tomorrow morning about 7 or 8 and put in my holding cooler while I take the family to church.

What time would you put the meat on the cooker tonight?

Personally, I’d put it on now @ 275°. Anything lower, and no guarantees it’ll be done on time. 275° should do the trick. You can hold a finished brisket for hours on end. But rushing to finish one with hungry guests is the pits.

Last edited:
I always figure 75 minutes per pound, then add 1 hour for a buffer as each piece of meat cooks differently. If it’s done early, resting for another hour or 2 isn’t a bad thing. I also leave my brisket out of the fridge for 2 hours before I throw on the cooker as well. I never throw it on cold.

Ok, y’all scared me so I threw it on. Remember, I’m in the Pacific time zone so it’s not as late for me as it is for a few of you. It’s been running for a few hours at 250. Now it’s at 160 in the stall and it’s about 7:46 pm. Should I back it off to 230?

Remember… even if it gets done early, and extra few hours resting isn’t a bad thing…

Back