brisket time!!!!!! (first time)

About to cook my first brisket tomorrow. Mine is a flat with a pretty good fat cap on it. Why would I want to cook it at higher temps? In another thread, I mentioned my intent to cook at 225, and someone suggested 250. 250 I can see, but would I want to go higher than that?

Also, why did you finish it in the oven after you hit 190? Why not just leave it on the grill?

That looks pretty good. Wondering about moisture myself.

For me, I have found that cooking in the 275F to 300F range is where my cooker likes to run. The end product is better than the lower heat, a lot of this has to do with factors such as moisture in the cooker, rate of cooking, evaporation time and speed with which the meat gets done and spending less time in a drying environment.

I am using a Kamado (akorn). this thing sweats quite a bit with no water pan inside, so it is moist heat. I have 2 choice flats, so they got decent fat content.

They are about 3 lbs a piece. I think I am going to run between 250 and 275 unless someone can tell me why I'd go higher.

That meat looks dry to me. I don't cook just flats. To me, the point is the best part. But That's what we like here in Texas. Salt,Pepper, and Fatty, juicy Point. Yum!

Back