Brisket time at 225?

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
I know brisket is done when its done. I won't be cooking to a particular IT but until a probe slides in like buttah.

I'll be cooking my 11.5-lb.-trimmed-weight prime grade brisket on a pellet cooker at 225 (with a smoke tube to help get more smoke for better/darker bark), wrapping in BP when the bark looks good and then aiming to pull off cooker around 3 hours before dinner time and holding wrapped in a cooler until dinner. Aiming for that jiggly, wobba-wobba brisket.

I haven't cooked one at 225 for a long time. How long do y'all estimate per pound at 225 as a starting point?

It's always a guess. Wrapping with bp at 160, will definitely help push you through the stall, but it is still going to take time for a 15lb brisket. Since you are planning on holding in a cooler anyway, I would allow the extra time, because every brisket cooks a little different.

It's always a guess. Wrapping with bp at 160, will definitely help push you through the stall, but it is still going to take time for a 15lb brisket. Since you are planning on holding in a cooler anyway, I would allow the extra time, because every brisket cooks a little different.

Yup. I think I'll plan for the longer time, realizing that I could end up having an extra 2 hrs. hold time if it cooks more quickly.

I wonder how it would hold if I popped it in my oven on its lowest setting (~150) if it needs to hold for more than 3 hours?

Yup. I think I'll plan for the longer time, realizing that I could end up having an extra 2 hrs. hold time if it cooks more quickly.

I wonder how it would hold if I popped it in my oven on its lowest setting (~150) if it needs to hold for more than 3 hours?
It'll be good in the oven at 150 as long as you vent first to stop the cooking process.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not sure about that, but wrapped in foil and towels, and put in a cooler, should hold it for 5 hours.

Why cook it at 225? Brisket can handle anywhere from 250-300 and you'll shave a good chunk of time off your cook with great results.

Brisket is one cut where i believe lower temp can work better.....at least easier

I like to say its not how you start bit how you finish and a lower temp can increase the target window.

As for hours per pound it gets wonky the larger the cut of meat. I time my briskets small, medium and large (under 12, 17 and under, over 17. Works for me.

put a 14lbs after trimming on about 9 last nite,plan on eating about 4 today,got the electric set at 225,smoked 3.5 hrs in my performer then moved to the electric smoker,real hickory wood for the smoke

I've done plenty at 225 and I've never had one done before at least 1.5 hours/pound. Give yourself 2-3 hours leeway on top of that. I do not suggest a temperature higher than 240, as I've never had a great result beyond that. I know people talk about doing it hot and fast, but in my experience, the most tender brisket results from a lower temperature and longer cook time. If held in a cooler wrapped in butcher paper and bath towels, I've held them for as long as 6-7 hours and they're still warm upon slicing. Ideally, though, hold for 1-2 hours.

I did one the exact same size, temp and BP, I think it took almost 15 hours. help in cooler for a couple hours and turned out great.

Back