Brisket Sandwich- Chopped or Sliced?

When I home smoke and serve a brisket, I always slice the flat and chop the point.

This is what I do as well & perhaps that's the difference in my sammie.

I use the flat for plates & by the pound orders. I use the point for sammies.

I vend 2 to 4 full packers a weekend and sliced is the way to go. Tried chopped points and no one liked it. I keep mine in a steamer like the deli's use, but instead of water for steam I use Aujus. Some people like the point and some like the flats. It don't take long to slice it and I slice 1/4" thick.

Always slice brisket. I have used both sliced and chopped. I always have chopped left over, and sellout of sliced brisket.

We vend 24+ packers a weekend. Slice the flats and seperate the points. The points get tossed back in the pit and chopped for burnt ends at the end of the day.

I tried chopped for my vending gig today and it went fine, but I wasn't impressed. To be honest I really didn't chop it, it was more like cubed. For those of you that chop are you chopping it down to a shredded consistency like pulled pork, or is it more like cubed?

To properly chop brisket you need to over cook it. When you do it'll fall into strands like pork. Also, don't trim the fat before cooking. You'll need to finely chop some of that in with the brisket for moisture (and great flavor).

I would be much more concerned about sales than you being impressed. As long as it sells it doesn't matter what we (as businesspeople) like. If it doesn't sell, pull it. If it sells, keep selling.

I have had and enjoyed both. I tend to serve sliced, but, I do like chopped for the different texture. When I have bought from vendors, the guys chopping have had less tasty brisket. That being said, there are parts of the country where chopped brisket is the norm.

I want my brisket sliced. I don't care if it's on a sandwich or on a plate. It's got to be sliced. The texture, IMO, is better when sliced.

SLICE IT! And messy is okay, it's a BBQ sandwich after all.

I personally think your doing an injustice to a piece of meat you just spent hours trimming, rubbing and smoking to perfection.

Anybody can overcook & shred brisket :tsk:

Anybody can overcook & shred brisket :tsk:

Not sure if you're referring to me or not, but I never said anything about shredding any brisket.

As a professional cook - you surely know the difference between shredding & chopping right?

Chopped is the only way to go. Re heat with some broth covered tight and you will have a great product.

Vending Master mod.:-D

Not sure if you're referring to me or not, but I never said anything about shredding any brisket.

As a professional cook - you surely know the difference between shredding & chopping right?

Not you Frank, just my opinion. :thumb:

I also slice for plates and use the point for sammies but its more of a sliced product, still has the presentation of being sliced and not the mushy feel of chopped.
Now i will say if i was vending chopped is definetly the way to go as far as labor and food cost.

I also slice for plates and use the point for sammies but its more of a sliced product, still has the presentation of being sliced and not the mushy feel of chopped.

Same for me. slice the point for sammies with a couple quick chops to make the point pieces a bit smaller. I also use what I call "sandwich flat" when the flat slices are too small.

On another note - I've never had thin sliced brisket that did not taste like roast beef & I've never had brisket that tasted like brisket that one could slice thin.

Perhaps as a Yankee I just don't know chit about brisket.

I prefer sliced brisket but that's just me. But if it is good, I'll eat it both ways :)

For what it's worth, as a consumer, I'd rather be getting sliced brisket when I order a brisket sandwich. If you're going to chop, use something cheaper and sell chopped or pulled beef as mentioned above.

I feel the same way. The BBQ place I most frequent offers both chopped and sliced. I know another place that is also pretty good that uses sliced.

Back