Brisket Options

Not just the shipping, $246 for a 17-19lb brisket is ridiculous.

It is a lot, however a SRF Gold grade 18-20lb is $229 and quite a bit with shipping, so technically the huntspoint could be the same or cheaper with the 10$ shipping deal.
Also, the 14-16 SRF and the HP 15-17 are both 200$ not including shipping.

Either way it's a ton of money so...

Talk of money is no object when procuring the best meat, then complaining if another brand (and genetics) is 20 bucks more is a little odd

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, I'm just curious about the mentality because I've never gone to a contest that I didn't believe 100% in my soul that I was going to win brisket. Maybe it's the way I'm wired (Even the first one I ever cooked at my very first contest).

If you aren't buying the meat that you feel gives you the best chance to win because you are admitting that you don't have a chance because you don't know how to cook a brisket properly, why stop saving money there? What is another $100 in the scheme of things for a contest?

Why even go if you are admitting defeat before you even leave your house? Why not spend the money on a class? And if you are going to contests that you know you can't win just for entertainment, you obviously have money to burn so why not buy the product you want?

This isn't a wagyu/non-wagyu question. If you are compromising on your meat, whatever it is you prefer, before you leave the house due to your own admitted lack of ability, take a class, buy 10 briskets with the money you save from not competing and learn how to get it right.

Just my two cents. Learning at a competition is expensive and even then, you want the best meat just in case you luck in to something! So spend the extra money and buy a Snake.

Yeah right Farker, I know you was looking right at me when you typed that.:razz:

As usually, in a round about way, you have a decent point though.I just thought you might post your class dates.....

I beg to differ with that, however I'm a little biased :grin: All joking aside I could tell you all the awards and contests that have been won using SRF but it's about more than that.
I've seen my fair share of beautiful briskets (many brands) on a pit, and at the end of the day I always say Cook Your Cook. Practice, take a really good class (I've been to a lot so if you want suggestions let me know), and then practice some more. Cook what you are comfortable with and what you're proud to put in the box. Then at least no matter how the scores end up you are happy with what you put out that day.

You sure send me a lot of emails. :thumb:

I'm going to try a wagyu brisket from SRF for my next comp and see how it goes. I'm pretty happy with my choice packer cooks 90% of the time so I might as well take it to the next level.

It is a lot, however a SRF Gold grade 18-20lb is $229 and quite a bit with shipping, so technically the huntspoint could be the same or cheaper with the 10$ shipping deal.
Also, the 14-16 SRF and the HP 15-17 are both 200$ not including shipping.

Either way it's a ton of money so...
$209 for an SRF 16-18 which is what I'd call comparable. plus $10 shipping. Huntspoint, Add the ridiculous shipping and you have over $300 in one brisket. It's not the same or cheaper than SRF. And with SRF I don't need to PM anyone to get decent shipping prices. What a joke.

From what I'm reading on these posts, I think there's several things that come into play...

1.) You can score well with all sorts of briskets - There are many factors that go into this, from the experience of cook, freshness of spices, rubs, mops, injections, all the down to the local judges not knowing the flavors of different suppliers. Yes, they should know "brisket" but they may only know what they have locally.
2.) You can score low with all sorts of briskets - Whether it's our experience or not we all have days that don't go our way. Afterall, what looks to be a good cut of meat could show some fickleness to get done the way we want.
3.) Go with what you know until you're ready - All this talk about dollars for brisket is fine and dandy but you don't want to overextend until you're confident you can make a legitimate go of it. It may not be the dollars you spend that is keeping you from being called.
4.) Ask questions - You can never emphasize this less ... learn, learn, learn. Ask around, watch, listen, and then compare with what you're doing compared to the winning teams. Taking this to the next step is watching trends and making sure you can update based on where the competitions are going.

Obviously, each of these points can get expanded and beat up on but that's ok. We're all here with the same end - producing the best product we can.

-Cyber

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, I'm just curious about the mentality because I've never gone to a contest that I didn't believe 100% in my soul that I was going to win brisket. Maybe it's the way I'm wired (Even the first one I ever cooked at my very first contest).

If you aren't buying the meat that you feel gives you the best chance to win because you are admitting that you don't have a chance because you don't know how to cook a brisket properly, why stop saving money there? What is another $100 in the scheme of things for a contest?

Why even go if you are admitting defeat before you even leave your house? Why not spend the money on a class? And if you are going to contests that you know you can't win just for entertainment, you obviously have money to burn so why not buy the product you want?

This isn't a wagyu/non-wagyu question. If you are compromising on your meat, whatever it is you prefer, before you leave the house due to your own admitted lack of ability, take a class, buy 10 briskets with the money you save from not competing and learn how to get it right.

Just my two cents. Learning at a competition is expensive and even then, you want the best meat just in case you luck in to something! So spend the extra money and buy a Snake.

I cannot tell you how hard Robyn and I have worked to get our brisket right. Expensive meat will give you a bump but you must have your process tuned to a fine degree to be in the mix week in and week out. Success at this level is measured in millimeters, every detail is important.

I cooked Brandt primes for the first half of last year, and then decided to try SRF to see how they were. First time I cooked one, I got 1st place brisket. The next two comps I cooked a Brandt prime next to a SRF gold. There wasn't a single piece coming from those Brandts.

It's not just that the texture is better, the flavor is ... beefier I guess.

That said, it's a rare day, even with a 1st place brisket that I can pay for it. Then again, I'm not in it for the money ;)

Not at all. I would bet that if you go back to your last score sheet, and look at the bottom 10-12 teams, you would see a few of them that cook the higher cost briskets.....

Bottom line, while it may help with a spot or two, it will not automatically make you walk or win...

edit: I went back to your last contest, Ridgefield Gone County and looked at the brisket results. I can tell you that 3 teams that finished behind you cooked Waygu. I wont tell who they are, but I know they cook SRF's. That should indicate something.......

Now the 49% CBJ is a whole different discussion......

The 49% CBJ is incorrect! Actually it was 49 CBJ's from 10 States (including TN) as well as Scotland and England. More than half were Master Judges some with more than 100 contests judged. All were 100% CBJ's! I notified our KCBS Reps yesterday and they have notified KCBS of their error. I expect it to be corrected soon...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

We started using Creekstone primes our last 2 comps. In the past we have used Costco primes. Our first comp with Creekstone we took a 2nd in brisket. The second was mid pack. We also finished 16th at the Royal last year with a Costco Prime.

For us, we can get the Creekstone briskets for not a whole lot more than the Costco ones (I think about $1.50/lb difference), so we're going to stick with those for now. We may dabble in Wagyu at some point, though not this year.

Well, I finished as the top brisket cook in the nation cooking 25 or less contests last year and I didn't cook a single SRF brisket. Learn how to cook a brisket and then cook the best ones you can get your hands on.

The 49% CBJ is incorrect! Actually it was 49 CBJ's from 10 States (including TN) as well as Scotland and England. More than half were Master Judges some with more than 100 contests judged. All were 100% CBJ's! I notified our KCBS Reps yesterday and they have notified KCBS of their error. I expect it to be corrected soon...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Just going by what the website has listed, no disrespect intended.

Look at my finish a few years ago in Calhoun, GA with a Walmart brisky I picked up on Thursday on my way to the contest.

Must have been a table of angels because I do not know how to cook. See my pork score???:crazy:

calhoun_zpsglu7est5.jpg

Back