Brisket on the Vision Big Green Egg or other Kamado - What I learned

dabaxter

Found some matches.
After screwing up brisket multiple times that I was never satisfied with or proud of, I finally figured it out and can nail it. After watching videos and reading, I realized either people were cooking on a different kind of smoker or were full of baloney. Here's what I learned.
Do not trim your brisket, except for "hanging fat tags". LEAVE THE FAT ON.
No mustard. Smoke can't get through that.
Do not be conservative with your dry rub. I prefer Rudy's rub.
I use a lava stone heat deflector.
Put in a water pan under the flat side. Put a catch pan under the point side.
ALWAYS PUT YOUR MEAT FAT SIDE DOWN.
PUT THE BRISKET ON FRIDGE COLD.
The front of my grill is usually a little hotter. ALWAYS PLACE THE FLAT SIDE TOWARDS THE BACK OF THE GRILL.
DO NOT WRAP DURING THE COOK UNLESS YOU WANT ROAST BEEF WITH NO SMOKE.
I use hickory chunks and lump. DO NOT OVERFILL THE AMOUNT OF CHARCOAL. I put a few chunks on the sides then fill with charcoal. I leave enough room below the heat deflector brackets to add more wood chunks before putting the lava heat deflector on.
I take off between 200 and 205. That seems to be about the most tender spot. It usually takes 9-10 hours at 250. I usually wrap in foil, a couple of towels and into a cooler for a few hours to rest. DO NOT TRIM THE EXCESS FAT UNTIL YOU ARE SLICING TO EAT.
I also learned USDA Select seems to turn out just as good as choice. I hope this helps someone like me. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back