Brisket is what I love about Sunday's

Delbridge11l

Just got started on my second brisket flat. Trying out a Texas style sweet with a little heat rub. No injection. I want to know the meat flavor before I go shooting flavor in it. Cooking it on an Akron Kamado with some apple wood chunks and it just barely fits!! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 203
Trying to keep my temp around 275 for the cook but the Akron demanded 280 so I let her keep it. I was inside doing a few things and its risen up to 300 so I figured I'd get a pic while letting out a little heat real quick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 160
Well internal temp hit 170 and I figured it was time to cover it up. I had everything ready and quickly realized the spatula I normally pick my meat up with wasn't going to lift it. Quick thinking made some tinfoil oven mitts and opened the lid to get it off. Poured a warm beer over it for juice and flavor and messed up the bark so I added a little more rub to try and fix it. Opened the lid and put it back on as quick as I could and somehow a couple minutes after I shut the lid my grill alarm was going off and I was up to 340 grate temp. I don't know what happened to make the temp spike that hard but you win some you lose some. I just hope I can still win with the brisket with all my brisket rookie mistakes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 140
Once you've wrapped, 340°F is not an issue, as long as you know it's happening. I often cook briskets at that temperature once I've wrapped (I use paper, no pan, same theory). You should still be good to go soon.

Thanks for the calming my nerves I was worried I would end up ruining it with the high temp. I figured I would use the pan so I count try and not make a mess with all the juices. My temperature finally came back down quite a bit. I've never fought my Akron this hard to keep a temp.

Before you open the lid, shut the lower vent and that will help keep the temp steady...

Here it is. It turned out great. It had a little more pepper than I'd like and It was just a tad over cooked. It couldn't pass the bend test. All in all it was still a very good brisket.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 80
Oh yeah, Sunday brisket can only mean some amazing Monday leftovers.

Nicely done. I have some folks that prefer my brisket to where it won't bend without breaking.

Back