Brisket- Hold Times from a BBQ Genius

Yep, great article. One I've read several times, but still find interesting.

Holding brisket has probably been my biggest challenge going from a hobbyist to food trailer. Still not sure that I'm where I want to be, but I'm still trying.

And I think he did an outstanding job of describing the differences that BBQ restaurants use paper vs foil vs seran wrap, timing of the wrap- wrap rest hold technique and how they arrived at their method.

I’ve traveled the foil vs butcher paper path and have squarely landed in the BP camp. When it comes to plastic wrap I have 0 experience or confidence. I’d be afraid of softening bark, much like foil but with way less temp holding properties... y’all educate me please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Been at this for a while. Did foil as that's how i was taught. Switched to bp and really like it. Now i cook in bp and hold in foil. I tried keeping it in the bp but juice gets everywhere. Tried using new bp but didn't seem to stay as moist. Been really pleased with venting and moving to foil for 4-12 hour hold. Bark stays intact if set properly before wrapping in bp and allowed to vent and reset before placing in foil as i cook fat cap up in bp to keep the flat sitting in it's own juices. I have a lot of respect for these joints and their proven processes as they don't just come up with this stuff by dumb luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sometimes I wonder how “ours” would be described. He can take you there with less than two paragraphs.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/dallas/the-most-underrated-barbecue-joints-in-texas

He always seems to make time for sausage and sides in his reviews. He always makes time for the small guys in the BBQ world not just the big names. His articles are something me and my cooking buddies look forward to. Kind of like sweet tea and tea with sugar.There’s a difference. You can learn from him.

Thanks for the post...turns out one of the places (The Brisket House) is 6 minutes away from my work. Will have to check it out!

Back