Brisket- Hold Times from a BBQ Genius

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
IMHO Daniel Vaughn is a BBQ Treasure. I read and reread his articles on this thing we love(apologies been binge watching The Sopranos). I’ve got friends who call me and ask advice(no big deal around here I’m sure most of you get the same calls) but I find myself retelling DV’s articles. Last night a friend called. He was cooking an 8#+ Pork picnic. He didn’t need help as much as validation. He sent photos late. Damn he did good.

Smoke on Brethren

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-importance-of-wrapping-brisket/

Thanks for sharing!

There are few more enjoyable and productive ways to spend a couple hours than scrolling thru Tx Monthly’s on-line archives, particularly the BBQ writing . . . .

Nice article. I love hearing about different smoking techniques And how small changes can make big changes in the end product. It’s just a matter of finding what end product YOU like. I’m still figuring that out for myself. When I first started bbqing I kept it simple because that’s the only way I knew how to do things. I then gravitated to many or all the techniques used in competition bbq. I am now gradually coming full circle again and going back to keeping things simple as it turns out that is what I prefer.

proper holding is the secret to great brisket

What I do sometimes for brisket is I do the whole cook unwrapped. After done cooking I wrap the brisket and hold it in the pellet smoker at the lowest setting which is 170 deg for 2-3 hours. Guaranteed tender and juicy product. Brisket is the only thing I have to do this with for consistent results. Everything thing else just rests on the counter unwrapped to cool off enough to pull or slice.

The article is wrong saying the home cook doesn’t have to worry about holding. Brisket is better with a wrap and hold and that doesn’t change if you are cooking at restaurant scale or just making a few at home.

Holding 1 brisket for an hr or 2 is way less complicated than trying to hold 20-30 for an entire lunch and dinner service and have a consistent product. That to me is what separates the good bbq reastraunts from the mediocre ones. Great article for sure

Ya great article. I learned from basically trial and error what worked at a restaurant for holding since the place was brand new and just had to figure it out. Doing it at scale is fun and the places that serve awesome brisket/meat at lunch and also the same meats that still hold till dinner and it is still great have a talent.

Holding 1 brisket for an hr or 2 is way less complicated than trying to hold 20-30 for an entire lunch and dinner service and have a consistent product. That to me is what separates the good bbq reastraunts from the mediocre ones. Great article for sure

What I am talking about isn’t and hour or two. More like 4-12 hours. It makes a difference.

Sometimes I wonder how “ours” would be described. He can take you there with less than two paragraphs.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/dallas/the-most-underrated-barbecue-joints-in-texas

He always seems to make time for sausage and sides in his reviews. He always makes time for the small guys in the BBQ world not just the big names. His articles are something me and my cooking buddies look forward to. Kind of like sweet tea and tea with sugar.There’s a difference. You can learn from him.

proper holding is the secret to great brisket

And I think he did an outstanding job of describing the differences that BBQ restaurants use paper vs foil vs seran wrap, timing of the wrap- wrap rest hold technique and how they arrived at their method.

He reviews BBQ many places besides Texas. His IG feed @bbqsnob recently contained joints in the SE USA. I’ve seen Chicago and I think he’s in collaboration on a whole hog book. I’ll never cook a whole hog, but I’ll eventually buy the book.

Whole Hog BBQ: The Gospel of Carolina Barbecue with Recipes from Skylight Inn and Sam Jones BBQ https://www.amazon.com/dp/0399581324/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-.grCbQ9BQQMF

Found it. To be released in May

He reviews BBQ many places besides Texas. His IG feed @bbqsnob recently contained joints in the SE USA. I’ve seen Chicago and I think he’s in collaboration on a whole hog book. I’ll never cook a whole hog, but I’ll eventually buy the book.

Whole Hog BBQ: The Gospel of Carolina Barbecue with Recipes from Skylight Inn and Sam Jones BBQ https://www.amazon.com/dp/0399581324/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-.grCbQ9BQQMF

Found it. To be released in May

LoL...I laugh everytime I see someone even say the words "recipies from Skylight Inn Barbecue". Although they do now serve chicken a day or two a week, their menu consists of only three items...whole hog barbecue, slaw, and flat baked cornbread (which is the only thing that's left in my try when I go).

It is, however, the best barbecue in the state of North Carolina...likely the entire SouthEast, and should be in the top 5-10 nationwide. And as far as traditional/regional barbecue goes...no doubt in the top 5 in the country.

Same meat vendors vs Sam’s Walmart United
Same meat grade vs whatever looked good S-C-P
Same trim or no trim method vs watch my knife skills
Same fire vs lump briquettes pellets
Same cooker vs one of 3-15 on patio
Same seasoning vs cool let’s try 1-30 in cabinet
Same wrap vs foil, none, butcher paper
Same time table vs cook till it’s done, bark looks right etc etc
Same expectations vs one of my best versus chili meat
1 brisket vs 50-100

There is a ton of separation between what they do and what I do. I don’t want to do what they do. I can learn

Realizing where I am on this bbq journey, his articles and writing hit home.

Last edited:
Back