Brisket, Boston butts, and halved chicken on the Shirley Fab

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I was out of town for a bit and missed mother's day and a couple birthdays, so today I had everyone over to make it right. Brisket was requested for the family, and I was asked to cook some meat for a work lunch next week....luckily the Shirley was up to the task.

I had a Costco prime brisket I purchased a couple weeks back (for the fam), and picked up a choice Angus brisket from Sam's along with a couple Boston butts and two of their organicwhatever chickens. Oh...and some Kiolbassa brand beef sausages. I decided I was going to inject the briskets this time, so I went with Kosmos reserve blend brisket injection....Chris Lilley injection on the pork, and I use Oakridge BBQ Game Changer brine on the chicken. Brisket got a SPOG rub, pork got EAT Barbecue Zero to Hero, and the chicken got Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon. Wood used was some nice shag bark hickory that BBQ Freak hooked me up with.

I woke up at 4 AM and lit the smoker, off in the distance I saw a flickering in the sky......lightning. Checked the radar and there was a hefty line of storms about an hour and a half out. While the cooker was coming up to temp, I downed two double shots of espresso, threw up the canopy, put on the meat, and downed another double shot of espresso. I was wired and it was only 5:30 AM :crazy:

The cook went well despite the firebox end of the cooker hanging out in the rain for the first half of the day. I ran my intake and exhaust a little more closed than usual and was able to feed less splits while maintaining the same cooker temp....slowed the air down or something. The Boston butts finished in about 7.5 hours (7lbs each), and the briskets took about 10 hours each (11lbs post trimming). I was able to rest them for a solid 2-3 hours before it was time to eat.

It'd been a while since I injected a brisket but man was it juicy...tender enough to cut with a flimsy plastic fork but didn't fall apart. I was really pleased with the results of the injection. The pork turned out really well too, but I'm just not a pulled pork guy - the people at the office like it though. The chicken turned out fantastic....I rarely wet brine poultry but I really liked the result of the Oakridge BBQ brine, it'll be used regularly going forward.

Got a new addition to the family due any day now so it might be a bit before I get to do a long cook again, but I enjoyed today. I like waking up before the birds and getting to hear the trees come alive.

On my plate was some brisket flat, burnt ends, a chicken leg, morel mushrooms, hasselback potato gratin (highly recommended) - sauce and bread not required.

Attachments

• brisketprime.jpg
    brisketprime.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 283
  • chix2.jpg
    chix2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 282
  • pork1.jpg
    pork1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 279
  • brisket1.jpg
    brisket1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 281
  • cooker.jpg
    cooker.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 281
  • fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 280
  • shirley.jpg
    shirley.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 280
  • porkprep.jpg
    porkprep.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 281
  • brisketprep.jpg
    brisketprep.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 282
  • brisketprime2.jpg
    brisketprime2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Nice cook!

How durable is that canopy? I'm deciding between the tarp option or a carport.

Looks great, really great. love that smoker,real classy

Nice cook!

How durable is that canopy? I'm deciding between the tarp option or a carport.

It went through a helluva thunderstorm at a competition and came out still standing, while lesser tents crumpled up or blew over. Very thick top on it too.

Looks delicious sudsandswine! Well played! Thanks for sharing. Great looking rig you have there too! Gonna be joining the Shirley owners group myself. Can’t wait!

When you wrote you had a double shot, I anticipated you would say you had something for breakfast other than espresso!

Well done on the cook!!

I'm a morning person and can get by fine on 4-5 hours of sleep, so I much prefer waking up early than staying up late trying to finish a cook. Light the smoker at 4, rub the meat, place on smoker at 5, and I have about 3 quiet hours allllllll to myself to sit and watch the sun come up, which is much more enjoyable in the warm weather :thumb: that being said, about 12 or 13 hours of catching face-fulls of smoke, I often lose my appetite for whatever I'm cooking. :doh: A shower and a nose rinse do help though.

They were both about equal, I've been real happy with "just" the angus choice briskets that Sam's carries here, I've cooked about 25 of them and have been happy with the results as long as I've done my part. They're usually 10-15% cheaper than the prime briskets that Costco carries.

I'm a morning person and can get by fine on 4-5 hours of sleep, so I much prefer waking up early than staying up late trying to finish a cook. Light the smoker at 4, rub the meat, place on smoker at 5, and I have about 3 quiet hours allllllll to myself to sit and watch the sun come up, which is much more enjoyable in the warm weather :thumb: that being said, about 12 or 13 hours of catching face-fulls of smoke, I often lose my appetite for whatever I'm cooking. :doh: A shower and a nose rinse do help though.

I often will cook all day (briskets, butts, etc ) and then not eat but a few bites. Many folks have told me they do the same thing.

Great cook, BTW.

Back