Bresaola

PitRow

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
Anyone into making charcuterie? I recently started dabbling in it again using the umai bags.

Back in spring I had bought a big eye of round. I used half for jerky, the other half I wanted to make bresaola with.

The cut was 845 grams, so I measured out the appropriate amount (0.25%) of cure #2, and some other spices… then it was sealed in a vac-bag and sat in the fridge for 16 days to cure.

After the cure it got rinsed and dusted with rub. The meat then went into an UmaiDry bag and into the fridge on a metal cooking rack to allow good air circulation all around.

Anyway, I was aiming for 40% moisture loss, or 510g finishing weight. Every couple days for the first week I’d flip the meat over to try to keep the drying more even.

It took not quite 3 weeks to reach the target weight. Well actually I was out of town on vacation when it hit the target weight. When I got back it was at 471g (44.3% weight loss). So then it got removed from the UmaiDry bag and into a regular vac-bag and back into the fridge for 2 weeks to equalize the moisture.

The smell is intensely beefy and kind of sweet. I need to break out the slicer because what I could do with the knife just wasn’t as thin as I want. The taste is awesome, though honestly I think it could use a little more salt. It’s like really intense beef jerky, and the rub gave it a nice kick. Definitely will be making more.

e9af4c90e0affeffd547c3b9bb74a0cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. It almost looks like my air dried biltong! I've got some of those bags. Might give it a try!

I make bresola.

My favorite way to serve is....slice very thin....lay a few slices on a platter...top with arugala....drizzle EVVO...sprinkle a lil grated Parmesan....roll up and eat. I could make a meal out of it!

I have used UMAI a lot but mainly for salumi. Need to venture out and do some of the bigger muscles. I now have a spare fridge in garage where I can play around with some things. You may have just given me a weekend project. Thanks

Looks great! I have been reading up on charcuterie making and this seems like a good one to start with or maybe coppa or both.

I make bresola.

My favorite way to serve is....slice very thin....lay a few slices on a platter...top with arugala....drizzle EVVO...sprinkle a lil grated Parmesan....roll up and eat. I could make a meal out of it!

I'm going to have to try that, usually I just eat it by the slice or put it on pizza or something like that. I'm always looking for new ways to eat it. Thanks! :clap2:

I have used UMAI a lot but mainly for salumi. Need to venture out and do some of the bigger muscles. I now have a spare fridge in garage where I can play around with some things. You may have just given me a weekend project. Thanks
See, and I'm just the opposite, I've only done whole muscle, but I really want to try some salumi one of these days.

That looks amazing!!
Those UmaiDry bags, are they like dry-aging bags?
Yes, that's exactly what they are. Can be used either for dry aging or cured, dried charcuterie.

Great. I love that stuff and it's expensive! I guess I'd have to buy a meat slicer.
Yeah, I need to dig mine out and use it for this, being so dry the knife just wasn't cutting it :)mrgreen: pun intended). It cuts but not as thin as I'd like.

Looks great! I have been reading up on charcuterie making and this seems like a good one to start with or maybe coppa or both.
Coppa was the first thing I tried years ago. It's a good one for the first time. Or do both, like you said :thumb:

I'm going to have to try that, usually I just eat it by the slice or put it on pizza or something like that. I'm always looking for new ways to eat it. Thanks! :clap2:

See, and I'm just the opposite, I've only done whole muscle, but I really want to try some salumi one of these days.

Yes, that's exactly what they are. Can be used either for dry aging or cured, dried charcuterie.

Yeah, I need to dig mine out and use it for this, being so dry the knife just wasn't cutting it :)mrgreen: pun intended). It cuts but not as thin as I'd like.

First few times got case hardening. Ended up putting in cooler with hot bowl of water and no airflow for first 72 hours before fridge

First few times got case hardening. Ended up putting in cooler with hot bowl of water and no airflow for first 72 hours before fridge

That's a good idea. The first couple times I did this whole muscle stuff I got pretty bad case hardening too. I find that after it's dried to the target weight putting it back into a regular vacuum bag and letting it rest in the fridge for a week or so helps distribute some of the moisture from the center back to the edges so it's not as bad. I don't know if that'll work for salumi like it does for full cuts though. I'll definitely give your method a try next time.

Oh...I forgot one ingredient...a light squeeze of lemon juice.

Try it you'll be hooked.

Back