THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spudco

Knows what a fatty is.
My good wife and I cooked a pot of chili Sunday for a great Monday dinner.

IMG_2130_zpsijhpj4wz.jpg

Here are the details:

Ingredients

1/2 lb bacon cut into small pieces, fat rendered into main cooking pot and saved for garnish
5 lb beef cut into lean, small pieces - air dry and salt lightly

2 tbl oregano
1 tbl thyme
1 tbl cumin
2 tsp black pepper
1 tbl onion powder
2 tsp chipolte
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbl medium chili powder
2 tbl chili 3000 mix
3 bay leaves

2 cans tomato
1 can tomato paste
1/4 cup tamari sauce
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce

4 dried ancho chilis pan roasted, deseeded and soaked in hot water
3 bell peppers
5 stalks celery
3 onions
10 jap peppers
10 cloves garlic
1 bunch cilantro
1 cup grits

IMG_2093_zpsakdursp3.jpg

IMG_2095_zps0ja8zmup.jpg

IMG_2092_zpsndfjdpax.jpg

After rendering the bacon, blend reconstituted ancho peppers, cilantro, 1 onion, 4 japs, 1 can tomatos and 10 cloves garlic.

IMG_2102_zpsbi9qd7ps.jpg

IMG_2104_zpswhmrsq8h.jpg

Cook blended mixture in bacon fat and add chopped onions, celery, bell peppers and japs. Bring to a simmer.

IMG_2107_zpsigq5ujdr.jpg

IMG_2110_zps8gwsuop3.jpg

Sear beef with a bit of apple smoke for good measure.

IMG_2112_zps71twfgvp.jpg

Everyone into the pool.

IMG_2113_zpsb1t6vuwh.jpg

IMG_2115_zps6zmvjqzu.jpg

Cook at 275 for 4 hours. Adjust salt to taste and add any additional seasoning (we put in 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 3 tbl brown sugar). Add grits and cook 30 minutes to finish.

IMG_2118_zpsaxkmmvfa.jpg

Into frig overnight to blend flavors and tone down the heat.

Served with onions, cheddar, sour cream, cilantro and bacon bits.

Put a few quarts into the freezer for future fun times.

Great job! Grits was an interesting addition. I would be concerned it would leave a gritty texture. I use Masa Harina to make a slurry as a thickening agent. Gives a tint of corn flavor.
http://www.food.com/about/masa-harina-35

The grits are indeed used to thicken and add a bit of corn flavor. Even though we use a fairly coarse ground grit, it cooks long enough to disappear in the mix. Generally, we prefer a greater amount of grits but the sauce was already fairly thick. Sometimes we have also used chopped up corn tortillas for the same purpose (very close to raw masa harina).

Looks real good. Nice to see someone making actual chili instead of making bean soup and calling it chili :)

I've been waiting on some cold weather to get here so I can make some. My stomach is ready but it's still 95 degrees outside :(

Back