THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am also lookihng forward to the results. I'll be setting up something like this most likely within the next few months. I just need to figure out what all to buy :)

Do they not make something made for this? Or is the equipment made for this just way too expensive?

Sausage Maker sells one, it’s about $6.5K. I have < $400 into this setup…which doesn’t necessarily mean it performs as well as the $6.5K option but I am able to precisely control temp and humidity to whatever I set it to. :becky:

Got my first “harvest” from it - lonzino, which is cured pork loin. It lost a little over 35% of its weight but I think it could’ve benefited from another 5% or so - tasty regardless. Due to its low fat content, it only took about 3 weeks to finish.

The cooler + fish tank heater didn’t end up working out for me as a fermentation chamber and I had to go back to the drawing board. Until I figure that out, I won’t be making any fermented sausages

Looks great Suds!........I'm currently resisting the urge, lol.

Now, would that Lonzino have a little case hardening, or is that normally what the edge looks like? I'm not familiar with that one.

The exterior is not hard at all, maybe slightly denser than the center - I think the whole piece could've used just a bit more moisture loss, but it was close to what I was expecting. As for the coloration of the exterior, not sure...some pics I've seen show it more pronounced, some less.

The exterior is not hard at all, maybe slightly denser than the center - I think the whole piece could've used just a bit more moisture loss, but it was close to what I was expecting. As for the coloration of the exterior, not sure...some pics I've seen show it more pronounced, some less.

Got it......was curious based on an earlier comment about whether or not maybe the fan running too much might have a negative effect on the outside.

It's all new to me and very intriguing!

I have no fan in mine currently, other than the air movement created from the freezer turning on every 2-3 hours and the convection that the humidifier and dehumidifier running create.

My capocollo hit target weight loss in about 7 weeks. Sliced off a couple pieces to sample, then vacuum sealed it and put in the refrigerator. It tasted really good, as good as any store bought stuff I’ve had so I’m pretty pleased with my first go at it. I’m going to thinly slice with my slicer after it’s been refrigerated for a bit and is more firm.

I decided that I’m going to use this vertical freezer to store food, and will either use my garage fridge or chest freezer for curing. Now that I’ve figured out how to run something with the controllers and humidifier/de-humidifier I’m confident I can make any other vessel work too. I’m tired of having freezer fossils and with the cost of meat these days, the vertical freezer will help me to not waste anything. Also need to re-arrange the garage a bit to account for the new trailer smoker so the fridges gotta go from the garage to my basement.

Back