Bone In, French Cut, Berkshire Pork Loin, Garlic Studded and Herb Crusted *** Heavy Pr0n

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
I realize that title is a mouthful, but so was the roast. Berkshire pork is amazing and I had to come up with a recipe that stood up to the magnificence of this glorious piece of meat. If you can’t find Berkshire or or bone in, it’s fine to go with a regular pork loin.
Despite the fact that Berkshire pork is known for it’s juiciness, I decided to add some more by brining it.
Brine Ingredients:
1 qt apple juice
1/4 cup salt
1/2 cup minced garlic
20 turns of fresh cracked black pepper
6 bone, french cut, bone in, Berkshire pork loin (about 2.4 lbs)
Directions:
Combine the first four ingredients in a resealable plastic bag, sloshing around around until the salt is dissolved. Put the Berkshire pork loin in the bag once the salt is dissolved and put in the fridge a minimum of 2 hours to overnight. I brined mine overnight:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-005.jpg
Brining

Why brine? Putting meat in a salt water solution will cause the liquid from the salt solution to push into the meat making it juicier. The salt water solution will start breaking down connective tissues making it more tender. And since we aren’t using water, but apple juice and garlic and pepper, that fluid that goes into the meat will flavorize it making it more flavorful. Juicier, more tender and more flavorful? Seems like what we all want our final dishes to come out like. And considering how narrow the window is between pork loin being perfectly done and shoe leather, brining this cut is a natural. It will allow the pitmaster a bigger window to make sure this cut comes out perfect.
The following day, take the Berkshire bone in pork loin from the brine and rinse it off:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-009.jpg
Out of the Brine and ready for the Marinade

Garlic Studded, Herb Crusted, Bone In, Berkshire Pork Loin Ingredients:
1 garlic clove cut into thin slivers
1 brined, Berkshire pork loin (brining and bones optional. This one was about 2.4 lbs)
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tbsp fresh garlic, minced
1.5 tbsp fresh shallots, minced
1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
pinch of salt and black pepper
Yield: 4 servings
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-015.jpg
Herbs, Garlic, Shallots and Ginger

If using dried herbs, cut the amounts in half. Dried herbs have a more concentrated flavor.
Cooking Directions:
Slice a clove of garlic into thin slivers:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-024.jpg

Then, with a slender, sharp knife make slits in the side of the meat:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-025.jpg
Slit

Before you take the knife out, slide a sliver of garlic down the side of the blade:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-027.jpg
Insert Garlic

Then pull the knife free, leaving the garlic in the pork:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-029.jpg
Garlic Imbedded in the Meat

Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-031.jpg
Pull the Knife and Leave the Garlic

Repeat the process across the meat every couple of inches:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-033.jpg
Fully Garlic Studded

Then mince the garlic and ginger, making sure to skin the ginger before mincing it:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-050.jpg
Garlic and Ginger

And when doing the herbs, make sure to remove the rosemary and thyme leaves from the stem by grabbing the thin tip and slid your fingers toward the base of the stem, stripping the leaves clean before finely chopping.
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-053.jpg
Stems on the Right

Combine all the ingredients but the pork loin and mix together thoroughly. You could use a food processor. I used a knife and a whisk, but I would expect better results if the ingredients were all emulsified together and save a ton of time:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-077.jpg
Marinade

Put the Berkshire pork in a resealable bag and pour the herb marinade over it and place in the fridge for 2 hours to overnight. I did it for about 3 hours. Yes, I brined and marinated. That’s perfectly okay:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-080.jpg
Marinating

After three hours, I pulled it from the marinade, trying to make sure to keep as much of it on the pork loin as possible and hit it with a coating of coarse salt:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-137.jpg
Ready for the Akorn Grill

I prepared my Char-Griller Akorm Kamado style grill for indirect grilling with the place setter in the middle to deflect heat away from the meat:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-097.jpg
The Place Setter

And then I put a drip pan over the place setter to act as a heat sink as well as to keep the chamber moisturized:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-143.jpg
Drip Pan

If you don’t have a Kamado style grill, simply put the coals on one side and the drip pan on the other and put the meat over the drip pan. Speaking of that, the grill is sitting at 300 degrees and I have a chunk of peach wood on the coals. Time to put the meat on:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-147.jpg
On the Akorn

After 1 hour, the Berkshire pork loin looks like this:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-150.jpg
The 1 Hour Mark

And here it is, still at 1 hour, from an angle:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-154.jpg
The 1 Hour Mark from an Angle

At the 95 minute mark, the internal temperature of the Berkshire pork reached 145 degrees and looked like this:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-166.jpg
95 Minutes in and 145 Degrees Internal Temp

Cooking time will be determined by the weight of the meat and the temperature of your grill so rely on an internal probe thermometer. When the internal temp hits 135-145, pull it from the grill and let it rest. The meat will continue to cook while it rests, rising a few degrees.
Time to take the Berkshire pork off the grill and let it rest:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-172.jpg
Resting

Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-187.jpg
I couldn’t decide which resting shot to use, so I decided to go with both

Why let it rest and for how long? When meat comes off the grill, the juices are in an excited state due to the heat. If you slice it right away then the juices will come rushing out. Letting the meat rest will allow the juices to calm down and redistribute throughout the cut of meat making sure every bite is juicy and delicious. And how long depends on the size of the meat. a steak should be rested for a couple minutes. For a bone in roast this big, rest for 10-15 minutes.
Now it’s time to slice that amazing french cut Berkshire pork loin, garlic studded and crusted with herbs:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-208.jpg
Sliced

Two things to notice in the above picture. 1) In the lower left, the juiciness of the meat of the outside piece that should be the driest. 2) In the middle, the garlic slice that I was lucky enough to slice through when I cut the pork loin showing what the garlic studded meat looks like after it’s cooked.
Here’s another picture where I want to show you what only 90 minutes in a smoker can do in terms of a smoke ring. Again, look at the lower left:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-213.jpg
Check that Smoke Ring

One suggestion if you come across a bone in pork loin like this. Ask the meat cutter to cut the spine out. I did not and made it a bear to slice and thus I couldn’t take one of those gorgeous shots of a meat lollipop because the side closest to the spine got a bit mangled:
Berkshire-Pork-Loin-Garlic-Studded-Herb-Crusted-217.jpg
This is why you have the spine removed

Besides, at more than $10/pound, don’t pay for the spine. It’s already a bone in pork loin, no need for the spine.
To summarize this recipe, I have to comment on the smell. When the pork loin was on the grill, the sweet smell of the peach wood plus the scent of the savory garlic, shallots, herbs and ginger cooking was mesmerizing. And then the meal itself with it’s garlic goodness inside and out as well as sultry herbs that crust the outside make this a recipe worthwhile whether Berkshire, bone in or bone out.

If you liked the french cut Berkshire pork loin, garlic studded and crusted with herbs, then click here for similar grilling recipes.
Also, you can follow the Grillin Fools on Facebook and post your own grilling pictures, share grilling recipes, or join the general grilling conversation. You can also follow us on Twitter @GrillinFool.

Outstanding and very informative cook GrillinFool. Thanks for sharing.

Just curious, how different is this from the $1.99/pound whole pork loins that I get on sale periodically? Can I get close to the same effect with brine/marinade at 1/5th the price?

D

Just curious, how different is this from the $1.99/pound whole pork loins that I get on sale periodically? Can I get close to the same effect with brine/marinade at 1/5th the price?

D

Not to bag on any one, it all looks amazing and no doubt tasted awesome.

I use recipes like the above for the cheap stuff and just a little salt and pepper for the Berk.

There is a HUGE difference in the meat. If I could afford the good stuff all the time... I would for sure cook one like this.

Remember, per pound this was cheaper than a good ribeye.

That looks awesome. Very informative. I have read a lot about berkshire and have not tried it yet but will be on the lookout for it. This post is bookmarked.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

D

Berkshire pork is uber tender and juicy. Brining makes meat tender and juicy. Will it be the same? No. Will it be better if you brine it, yes...

You're in STL? :shocked:
Why am I looking at pictures instead of the real deal? ha ha

Awesome recipe Sir, I'll be book marking this one for sure. Epic.

Bob

You're in STL? :shocked:
Why am I looking at pictures instead of the real deal? ha ha

Awesome recipe Sir, I'll be book marking this one for sure. Epic.

Bob

Sure am. South County. 55 and Butler Hill. Middle, Suburban America at its finest and most mundane. But damn is the BBQ good!

Sure am. South County. 55 and Butler Hill. Middle, Suburban America at its finest and most mundane. But damn is the BBQ good!
I'm on MM between 30 (Gravois) and 21 (Tesson Ferry).
We're ten minutes from each other.

When I get accustom to my new smoker, I'll do this recipe (I've saved a link to it) and feed my family. I'll let you know what they think.

MAAAAN I'm hungry!

Thank you for the recipe. I can hardy wait.

Bob

I'm on MM between 30 (Gravois) and 21 (Tesson Ferry).
We're ten minutes from each other.

When I get accustom to my new smoker, I'll do this recipe (I've saved a link to it) and feed my family. I'll let you know what they think.

MAAAAN I'm hungry!

Thank you for the recipe. I can hardy wait.

Bob

Yeah, that's not far from me at all. I'm right off the highway...

Yeah, that's not far from me at all. I'm right off the highway...
Good deal.

For a couple decades now, I used to think I knew what I was doing with regard to cooking outdoors. But I knew I didn't know "enough", which is why I came here. Now I know I don't know **** (can I say that?).
So....When I think I know enough, I'll have you over and we'll see how much I know.

That make sense? ha ha

Bob

edit; I guess I can't say that. :doh:

Back