Bone in cured and smoked pork loin

I love this cook thread, Adam!! And the saw! A 21 day brine, sounds interesting, which says a lot because I'm normally not interesting in brining. What is the difference in meat texture between a short brine (say a few hours to a day or so) and a long brine like yours? I don't like the texture of commercially brined meat, does the 21 day give a different texture? I love the long piece cut, too. I smoked a rack of loin, didn't brine it though, and it turned out marvellous. I'll be going back to that farmer this year for another. Hey, I'll show you photos.

Those were the best pork chops I've ever had, it was from a whole traditionally-raised Tamworth pig freezer order. Great thread, loved to see the step-by-step process you went through, brother.

The reason for a long brine/ cure time is that the cure is on the low side in be brine. Only 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.

The texture to me is a more firm piece of meat. Commercial hams are more smooth I guess and mine you can feel the texture of the meat? Hard to understand me, sorry.

I do butt hams this way and love them.

I understand you well enough, I think. It's that smooth, slippery texture of commercial hams I don't like as much as my partner does. I could get interested in brining meat if I got the texture of a firm piece of meat. That's what I thought I saw in your photos and what got me curious in the first place. I like meat cooked longer than some so I'm good with a firmer texture. Thanks for the extra info, Adam.

:becky:

I understand you well enough, I think. It's that smooth, slippery texture of commercial hams I don't like as much as my partner does. I could get interested in brining meat if I got the texture of a firm piece of meat. That's what I thought I saw in your photos and what got me curious in the first place. I like meat cooked longer than some so I'm good with a firmer texture. Thanks for the extra info, Adam.

:becky:

You explained it much better then I did.

When I was small my dad would buy bone in pork chops. We loved them.

Everything now days are boneless.

The brine is on the low side with cure, takes a little longer but worth the wait.

I used to like bone in pork chops too. Your right. They are hard to find.

Bone in loin is a new one to me as well. The shows some serious dedication to your craft. Nice work!

What you made there is basically on of the comfort dishes my German grandmother would make on many Sundays: Frankfurter Rippchen.

It's a cured and smoked pork loin and we would have it with sauerkraut, potatoes, rye bread and German mustard. My grandmother would calll the mustard "baby scheise" (baby schittt) because of what it looked like LOL. She was a midwife so there you go.

Thanks for posting and bringing back some fond memories. :mrgreen:

Back