Blues hogs...advice

I just bought some of the competitors blend.....like it a lot. Way better, to me and my family, than SBR.

Brought a jar of the original to a party last year to go along with a few racks of baby backs in the event people wanted sauce.

Everyone loved it and was asking where I picked it up from.

The blend with the Red is real good too but I'm going with just original at the moment and I'm enjoying it. Of course, I currently have 11 different squeeze bottles of different BBQ sauces in the fridge so I spread the wealth.

Check out Cost Plus World Market. They have a bunch of different sauces for Summer right now. Pretty sure BH comes in a two pack of the normal sized jars for $9.99. If you live close enough to one, just roll in there and maybe get some other sauces too. They have two different ones by Uncle Merle's which are really good.

Edit- Just checked their site. Every sauce is on sale slightly. Two pack of BH for $7.98. Uncle Merle is below $5 a bottle. Smokey Kansas City Spicy is also really good...like a much better KC Masterpiece.

My recipe I posted is my go-to. Everyone loves it and it's quick and easy. Add some cayenne for some heat or some cinnamon if you want to.
I also have a BH Tennessee red clone recipe and a killer hogs comp sauce clone recipe as well if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Do a google search for Blues Hog sauce clone.
A guy has some videos where he mixes up and compares his sauce to original. TN Red as well as original clones out there.
Lots of clone recipes out there. Found one for Chick fil A dipping sauce. Good stuff.

Doing a big cook for the church again and was thinking of ordering some Blues Hogs. Never tried it and I wanna keep it as simple as possible so I am going commercial for the sauce (doing 40 racks, half to be sauced). I usually make my own but I am skipping that since I have other duties.

Do you like the original Blues Hogs and where is the cheapest place to order? Probably going to get a half gallon. Shipping seems to be the issue some places.

Thanks Brethren!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm kind of late to the party here but I'm involved in several large cooks each year, and we usually have 3 sauces available. One is on the sweet side, one is on the spicy side and one is right down the middle. I label squeeze bottles as SWEET, SPICY, and MILD and call it good. We use a combination of store bought sauces and generally keep the final blends on the thin side, verses the thicker bottle version. The main objective is to add just enough personal touches (agave nectar, apple juice, black pepper, cayenne, Wooster, garlic powder, etc.) so someone won't immediately recognize a standard flavor, like Sweet Baby Rays or KC Masterpiece that they use at home. Some years I did have some Blues Hog and Tenn Red and made a blend, it was as popular as the other two. So I think if you went that route, just have at least one more option available and you should be fine.

One concoction I've made for a couple of years is a mix of the Guy Fieri's Carolina, and Kansas City sauces. The Carolina is thin, has tomato puree, vinegar, Wooster, garlic. so it's tangy. It's a good mix with the KC sauce as its kind of thick out of the bottle.

Back