Birfday Chix and a forkfull of nothing.

fingerlickin'

Quintessential Chatty Farker
So my birthday is tomorrow, er...it's after midnight now, so I guess it's actually today. Anyway, we had my parents and Bro & SIL over for dinner today, er...I mean yesterday. My mom thought I was just crazy for wanting to cook my own birthday meal. I guess she'll never learn. :crazy:

I decided on a couple spatchcocked birds, and then there was also the little matter of finding my perfect bite of nothing that I won't share with anyone else. I talked it over with my wife on the drive to the 25K trail race she was in this morning and we came up with this...

The afternoon started with a couple of spatched chickens, one got a treatment of Plowboys Fin & Feather, the other SM Season All and Spicy Apple.

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2866.jpg

I used my usual ABT mix, 8oz. cream cheese, about half that container of sour cream, 1/4 of a 16oz naked fatty chopped up, 1/3 of that block of cheddar and some SM Sweet and Spicy (not pictured). Small batch today, so I used 6 jalapeno's and half of the bacon.

IMG_2852.jpg

The filling's ready.

IMG_2858.jpg

On your mark, get set, GO!

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2864.jpg

The chicken and ABT's went on the egg, cruisin' around 350* with some apple and cherry chunks.

IMG_2868.jpg

The chicken came out great.

IMG_2881.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

Now forget all that, because this is what I was really after. That little bit of ABT stuffing that falls out onto the grate and gets all crispy on the outside and stays all fluffy and cheesy and full of awesome on the inside. You can see it hanging there in these shots.

See it?

IMG_2874.jpg

I say do you see it???

IMG_2873.jpg

TD money shot.

IMG_2880.jpg

It was a great day, and my wife even came in 3rd place in her race! The race was called the Dirty German and she won this cool cookoo clock for her effort, beats a silly medal any day. :thumb:

IMG_2870.jpg

:peace:

Nice chix and Happy Birfday!!!!! And as for cooking your own birthday dinner, heck, that's all we ever do. I love my (our) own food more than any place I've ever eaten out at, I'm sure you're the same way. Hope you played hookey from work like we did on deguerre's bd!

How did the roaster chickens turn out in terms of tenderness? I am asking because I've never done a roaster chicken spatchcocked but always just use BIG broilers or fryers...

Man! I LOVE roasters done on the smoker/grill. Man! I LOVE ABTs done on the smoker/grill. Man! I LOVE bacon...guess you get the point.:mrgreen:

Happy Birthday!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Happy Birthday Jason!! Your feast looks wonderful!!
Congrats to your Mrs too, great job on the race!

Nice chix and Happy Birfday!!!!! And as for cooking your own birthday dinner, heck, that's all we ever do. I love my (our) own food more than any place I've ever eaten out at, I'm sure you're the same way. Hope you played hookey from work like we did on deguerre's bd!

Thanks Redhot, I know one of these days mom's gonna catch on and realize I think my cooking's better than hers, but for now I'll just leave that one alone. :-D No hooky for me today, I had to go in today but I got to leave early, it's my golf league night. :thumb: I just hope the rain holds off. :pray:

How did the roaster chickens turn out in terms of tenderness? I am asking because I've never done a roaster chicken spatchcocked but always just use BIG broilers or fryers...

Every bird I've done on my egg have been super tender and juicy, chicken and turkey. I don't brine chickens but I do brine turkeys. These could've rested a couple more minutes, but as usual the natives were getting restless.

Man! I LOVE roasters done on the smoker/grill. Man! I LOVE ABTs done on the smoker/grill. Man! I LOVE bacon...guess you get the point.:mrgreen:

Happy Birthday!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Oh I get it brother, 100%. :thumb:

Excellent cook, and a belated Happy Birthday!

Thanks for the belated Bday wishes, but it's actually today! Sorry for the confusion, but I actually first posted this last night in the throwdown threads. You can go here to vote and check out the other entries if you want, there's some good stuff in there. :-D

Happy Birthday Jason!! Your feast looks wonderful!!
Congrats to your Mrs too, great job on the race!

Thanks Jeanie, it always means alot coming from you. Yes, I was very proud of her, I got really lucky with that one. :-D

Back