Big Steel Keg vs. Big Green Egg..anyone cooked on BOTH?

The only thing that chaps my arse about the kegs are access to spare parts and accessories; difficult. I rusted my adjustable grate and cannot find a replacement. If anyone can help in this endeavor I would appreciate it much.

Yep...this is EXACTLY what I was talking about. Also, the only brick and mortar retail outlet that still sells them new is Ace Hardware (That I can find)....and out here, you have to make a special order to get one.

Anyone have any information about the new company's plans for this product going forward?

I know this doesnt answer the original question, but I wouldnt give up my Broil King Keg for anything and its not because of the cooker its because of the keggers. Some SOB broke into my garage and stole my BSK and several keggers pitched in and got me another one, even though this one is a BKK. Since I recognize at least one of them posting in this thread I wanted to give another thanks to those that helped me out.

As for the new Broil King Keg, which is basically the same as the Big Steel and Bubba with minor changes, as others have said it holds temps great and the lump use is extremely minimal. The Biggest differences between the BKK and the BSK is that the BSK came with a cover the BKK does not, but the BKK does seem to be sealed better than the BSK was.

The only thing that chaps my arse about the kegs are access to spare parts and accessories; difficult. I rusted my adjustable grate and cannot find a replacement. If anyone can help in this endeavor I would appreciate it much.

I'm not sure why your arse has been chapped. Have you tried calling?

When my adjustable grate rusted, I called and they mailed it to me. The whole call took 5 minutes. No questions asked (or arse chapping involved) whatsoever. ;)

how come all the name changes?

I think it's because the original company figured out that "Bubba" only appealed to a limited market demographic in the south. I can only assume the new company changed it from "Big steel keg" to "Broil King Keg" because "Broil King" was a more recognized brand that they already owned.

The kegs have their quirks, but the only thing that is really holding them back from being big in the kamado market is branding. It's a really clever design and one of the only (if not THE only) affordable non-ceramic option in that class of cookers. I think it's going to be a major player in 10 years if Onward markets it well and doesn't start cutting corners on the manufacturing.

and no, I'm not affiliated with the company...just a happy consumer. I'll prove it. I really want a Primo Oval. ;) The shape is cool!

I'm not sure why your arse has been chapped. Have you tried calling?

When my adjustable grate rusted, I called and they mailed it to me. The whole call took 5 minutes. No questions asked (or arse chapping involved) whatsoever. ;)

I called and was told they were out and on back order and would have to order the cast grate as well. This was July. My arse chapped due to the expense and delay in receiving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back