Big-ish cook on my Shirley

pjtexas1

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Texas Pete
Had another request for briskets and sausage. That seems to be all anybody wants. friday night they bring me 8 briskets ranging from 9lbs to 15lbs, some ungraded, some select and 1 prime. this is pretty much what the do every time. it was really cold for Texas, 40 degrees and windy. wind was blowing directly at my intake and hard enough that ash was blowing up into the cook chamber everytime i opened the cook chamber doors. used more wood than normal and had to switch to bigger sticks. i believe all that wind was cooling off my cook chamber. got up at 5am saturday. fired up the shirley and put the first 4 briskets on at 6am and 4 more on at 7am. i spend way too much time trimming and i don't like to make a mess in the fridge so doing it the night before isn't an option. i may have to prep them the night before next time and just keep them in my cooler in pans or wrapped in foil. anybody ever try this before??? will most of the rub come off when the foil is removed?

back to the cook...ran a little lower than normal 275-300. pulled the first brisket at 12:30 (small prime brisket). the rest came off between 1:30pm and 3:30pm. i noticed one had some of the rub taken off probably from the brisket above it dripping too much. 30LBS of sausage took up a whole 24x44 rack and they were done in about 40 minutes. i have decided to chunk my cheap butcher paper i got at sam's. it tears too easy and at 18" it just isn't big enough for briskets over 10LBS. probably going to get a 30" roll. they did not have warming/holding ovens this time so i let the briskets breathe for about 15 minutes and double wrapped them in foil, put them in covered pans and threw them in my carlisle and my cooler.

interesting note...the group were all from Texas. this time i used the rub that frankin and la barbecue use. mostly salt and pepper and what i normally use for them. they said they liked the Dink's better...weird.:crazy: I only used the Dink's last time because i didn't have enough pepper. who would have thought Texans would prefer a commercial rub to salt and pepper?:confused: oh well, i guess i am going to order a big bag of Dink's. WARNING: you do NOT want to google "dinks rub"...just trust me...seriously don't do it...i know you want to but just don't!!! ok...so you did it anyway...no big surprise...but why did you click images?:shock:

I wasn't able to attend the party this time so no pics of the food being sliced or served. other than the request for Dink's they said the briskets were good. my friend that does the slicing said they were all cooked perfectly and moist.

appreciate you guys taking a look!

tbs RS.jpg

Raw RS.jpg

All in the cooker RS.jpg

Bark Almost Ready RS.jpg

Better Bark RS.jpg

Before Wrapping RS.jpg

Carlisle RS.jpg

So what was the party? Was it a catering job? Looks like they came out great!

another quinceanera. a friend of mine is really good friends with this very big family. they have one of these every few months. i usually just cook the meats and they pick up and serve themselves. the one before this one i actually went to slice and serve. really nice people. they poured the slab for my garage that will eventually house my shirley and they saved me a few $$$. now i just need to start the garage build.:doh:

So, you used John Lewis's rub recipe with pepper, lowry's, kosher salt and garlic powder? What do normally cook at? Above 300? I am thinking about trying Bludawg's method this weekend.

Looks great despite the minor issues. I'll second the Cambro. :thumb: Oh, and we have the same kitchen tiles. :becky:

So, you used John Lewis's rub recipe with pepper, lowry's, kosher salt and garlic powder? What do normally cook at? Above 300? I am thinking about trying Bludawg's method this weekend.

that is the rub i used but instead of just garlic powder i do half garlic powder and half onion powder. i usually cook 325-350 but after talking with the guys at la barbecue i have been trying to back down to 300 and see how i like it. too soon to tell for sure but they seem a tad bit jucier or it could be my mind playing tricks on me. blu's method is really good. just don't get hung up on exact timing. he trims aggressively, so do i, to get a uniform thickness and that helps them cook quicker.

Paul, where did you pick up your Carlisle?

I need one of those and a Cambro is too pricey for me!

Briskets look awesome!

Thanks! i got it at webrestaruantstore.com, i believe it is the PC300N03 model. i like that it will fit 1 more pan than the cambro.

Food looks good.

The dinks thing made me laugh. I've resisted so far.

As to your Rub question the night before. It gets a little mushy, especially if you happen to inject anything. Even without Injection, still gets a little soft. Sometimes I go light night before, then hit it light again next day. I always set them in pans, and try to tent the foil a bit so it doesn't kill the Rub. Never wrapped in foil directly the night before.

Food looks good.

The dinks thing made me laugh. I've resisted so far.

As to your Rub question the night before. It gets a little mushy, especially if you happen to inject anything. Even without Injection, still gets a little soft. Sometimes I go light night before, then hit it light again next day. I always set them in pans, and try to tent the foil a bit so it doesn't kill the Rub. Never wrapped in foil directly the night before.
appreciate the info! go ahead and do the search...just clear your browser history immediately after. you don't want people knowing you looked that up.
Do they have family in Ft Worth .? ............. I need a 8x10 slab poured and I can smoke a brisket or two...........
you know mexicans have family everywhere.:heh:
That's a lot of brisky!
i weighed them and i think all together they came out to about 2lbs more than your monster...brisket that is.:shock:
Looks great despite the minor issues. I'll second the Cambro. :thumb: Oh, and we have the same kitchen tiles. :becky:

those tiles must be standard for new homes. kind of like white walls which after 10 years my wife informed that i am painting in a few weeks.:mad:

Nice Paul!

Hey BTW all you needed was my "high tech" wind break for your Shirley. :wink: Park that sucker on your FB side and you're good to go!

Nice Paul!

Hey BTW all you needed was my "high tech" wind break for your Shirley. :wink: Park that sucker on your FB side and you're good to go!

i actually thought about that but just put a chair in front of it which barely helped. the wind was blowing hard enough to close the cabinet doors.

i actually thought about that but just put a chair in front of it which barely helped. the wind was blowing hard enough to close the cabinet doors.

Well, that is because Shirley Fabrication builds super light cheap doors on their fireboxes.............:wink:

Great looking Briskets! And I want to know about the Dink's Rub, but not enough that I am going to Google it... :mrgreen:

Oh, and I need some slab work too if they spread out to SATX...

Back