Big Flat Belly Sammich!

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
IMF
I wanted to make a really good Sammich and the first thing that came to my mind was Pork Belly! I looked around for a recipe that was new to me and found one from Ming Tsai https://www.ming.com/food-and-wine/recipes/simply-ming-season-4/grilled-pork-belly-sandwich.htm
So I got started by making up the rub. I deviated by adding garlic and onion powder, HDD, and substituted ½ of the sugar with brown sugar. I added an extra teaspoon of kosher salt due to the larger amount of rub it produced trying to keep it in balance.
All rubbed and in the beer fridge overnight uncovered – Had to consume a few to make room!

View attachment 110911

I wanted a Big Farking Sammich so it needed more. I picked up a flat Iron steak and got in a marinade mix we like from Steak and Ale.
Next day I baked the pork belly in a pan raised off the bottom with a cup of rice vinegar covered until the liquid was gone. I had to open up the foil to release some of the liquid as it was taking too long.
This was how it came out and then wrapped to come to room temperature.

View attachment 110912

Next was making up some jalapeno poppers. Filled with cream cheese, garlic, and bacon mixture, topped with shrimp and sharp cheddar cheese, then a dusting of HDD. Onto the GMG to get all smoky warm and happy!

View attachment 110913

Next step as to reverse sear the flat Iron steak

View attachment 110914

View attachment 110915

Then while the steak rests awhile, The Pork Belly hits the grill for a nice hot sear!

View attachment 110916

During the short rest for the Pork Belly, Toasted the bread with garlic butter added.

View attachment 110917

Time to start putting stuff together, sliced up the Flat Iron Steak

View attachment 110918

It passed all the tests including the taste test!

View attachment 110919

Build time – First layer is the Flat Iron Steak – Fill up the bottom row solid with juicy tasty Beef!

View attachment 110920

Next layer is the sliced up Pork Belly – Oh it is Gooood!

View attachment 110921

Look closer – I wanted to just start eating it now!

View attachment 110922

Next layer is the Shrimp, Bacon, Cheesy, Smoked, Jalapeno Poppers!

View attachment 110923

Topped with a few white onion rings, some Sriracha, and a good slather of MSD’s Home made Guacamole. So thick it just stay’s there!

View attachment 110924

Here is a closer look before it gets closed up!

View attachment 110925

Now this is a Sammich! It’s big, yes it is but it is very much a Sammich you can eat without taking it apart.

View attachment 110926

Holds together nicely when sliced

View attachment 110927

Both sides!

View attachment 110928

Let’s Eat!

View attachment 110929

It got pressed done a bit to eat and I even turned it over!

View attachment 110930

This Sammich was very good – It had layers and levels of fantastic flavor. It bordered on over the top but just found that line of being a Big Farking Sammich!

We enjoyed it – Hope you did too!
SD

Last edited:
:shock: Holy. Crap. That looks amazing, Paul. You should probably add "sandwich king" to your signature. I'm not sure how you even managed to get that put together. I couldn't have resisted eating any of those ingredients ahead of time!

Only a true bretheren could have made that! (Some would say only a bretheren would spend that much time on a sandwich!:p)

You have defined the limit--walked up to the line and stuck your tongue across it just because you could.

Thanks for all the great comments. They truely mean something coming from the Brethren.

The Pork Belly was the wild card as I had never done it this way and was not sure abaout the rice vinager step but it was very good.

I can't deliver - too much consumption during the cook! and it was not fast at all! - Maybe Freaky Good!.

Back