BGE Advice wanted

If you're spending the $$, spend a little extra for the XL. Now, they can crack but the BGE warranty is amazing.

Great cookers. I had a medium and I loved it but it was WAY too small.

Check out the Komodo Kamado. A higher price point but the best Kamado on the market. Very high quality and they look incredible. They use refectory cement opposed to ceramic. They also have food grade silicone gasket which is indestructible and built in rotisserie option. it has three layers of grilling included and the XL version is a 32" grate. The standard most common size is the 23" which will handle everything that you mentioned.

I am still looking at the Weber BUT I have read on some boards that there is an issue controlling the temps. Some writers expressed difficulty maintaining a temp of 250*
I want a new cooker for exactly this reason - I want to get to 225* and then
be able to forget about it. My Weber Kettle takes ALOT of effort to maintain temps

Any comments/thoughts?
thanks

1- if loaded correctly how long can it go at 225*? Guy at the store said 6 hours?

I have run my XL for over 20 hours on a full load of lump

2 - can it do a larger than a 20# turkey?

The largest turkey I've cooked on it was 16#, and I had room to spare

3- can the XL handle a full brisket? A 10# pork butt? What is too much food?

Easily.

4 - any negatives I need to know?

There's a learning curve to setting and maintaining temperature. They're very heavy. The dome might require periodic adjustment to fit properly on the base.

This said, I'm beyond happy with my XL BGE. It's very versatile.

Before you make up your mind on the BGE, check out a Kamado Joe Big Joe. Much better bang for your buck and also more versatile than the BGE. Just my 2¢.

I assume he means out of the box. The Joe comes with a far superior set of accessories bundled including their well designed divide and conquer grid system. It allows multiple levels above the coals, direct/indirect zones etc. before having to buy a third party solution.

I assume he means out of the box. The Joe comes with a far superior set of accessories bundled including their well designed divide and conquer grid system. It allows multiple levels above the coals, direct/indirect zones etc. before having to buy a third party solution.

All I want to do is replace my 22" Weber kettle with something that will allow me to cook brisket and pork butt low and slow - without running out of charcoal and without the temp bouncing on me - esp in colder weather

All I want to do is replace my 22" Weber kettle with something that will allow me to cook brisket and pork butt low and slow - without running out of charcoal and without the temp bouncing on me - esp in colder weather

That is just the tip of the iceberg on what a Kamado can do well. The Big Joe will do what you want out of the box. The BGE will need a heat deflector solution, either their plate setter or something like the Spider or Woo from Ceramic Grill Store.

For what you are spending, I would recommend you get more use out of it. A Kamado makes and excellent oven for pizzas, calzones, breads and other baking. It also does well with grilling and searing. If you are not interested in anything but smoking, I would suggest looking at an insulated vertical offset that also burns charcoal. They are specifically built to do exactly what you are asking.

Go check them out in person. Put your hands on as many as you can find. The kamado Joe is very similar to the BGE. if it was green you couldn't tell it apart from the outside. They are all amazing cookers. But PLEASE get one bigger than what you think you'll need. The more you learn how to cook on it, the more you will to cook.

Can't speak for all brands but the BGE warranty is amazing.

Go check them out in person. Put your hands on as many as you can find. The kamado Joe is very similar to the BGE. if it was green you couldn't tell it apart from the outside. They are all amazing cookers. But PLEASE get one bigger than what you think you'll need. The more you learn how to cook on it, the more you will to cook.

Can't speak for all brands but the BGE warranty is amazing.
I have seen the BGE and the Weber - both seem great
If they work the same then price will do it for me

That is just the tip of the iceberg on what a Kamado can do well. The Big Joe will do what you want out of the box. The BGE will need a heat deflector solution, either their plate setter or something like the Spider or Woo from Ceramic Grill Store.

For what you are spending, I would recommend you get more use out of it. A Kamado makes and excellent oven for pizzas, calzones, breads and other baking. It also does well with grilling and searing. If you are not interested in anything but smoking, I would suggest looking at an insulated vertical offset that also burns charcoal. They are specifically built to do exactly what you are asking.

I will do more - for sure
I love doing Turkeys in the kettle - just hard to maintain temp in Nov in NY
That is a problem I want this purchase to also solve

I have done a full brisket in my large and a 18lb turkey on a raised grid I can easily do over 20 hrs at 225 with a full load of lump Check out the naked whiz- ceramic cookers

I will do more - for sure
I love doing Turkeys in the kettle - just hard to maintain temp in Nov in NY
That is a problem I want this purchase to also solve

Oh, I hear you loud and clear on that! I am in the Rochester NY area and just purchased a Kamado with that as a goal as well. I can't tell you how it works in Winter yet since I have only had it a few weeks, but so far it has me wondering why I waited so long to buy one.

I've used my Primo and my BGE well below zero. They don't care what the outside temperature is. Now getting the starter cube lit with a Bic lighter is sometimes a challenge as those things don't like the cold. Thinking the lowest outside temp Ive cooked in is minus -15 to -20.

I do remember my wife wanted to know when I was outside in case I fell. You can turn to stone pretty quickly at those temps.

Thinking the lowest outside temp Ive cooked in is minus -15 to -20.

Thinking this was not in Texas! While, at least I hope not. I hate when Canada sends us that fridged well below zero air. Almost as bad as sending us that Bieber thing.

I'm probably remembering wind chill. It was warmer. Guessing -2 with 39-40mph winds. I do live in Texas. However I live 79 miles closer to Cheyenne WY than I do to Houston TX

Back