THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don C

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Don C
I am looking to by a decent, entry level bbq and after extensive research have narrowed my choices to the Broil King Signet 320 and the Weber Spirit e310 (original design – not a fan of the new Spirit II design).

Both seem very close, and based on reputation alone, I feel I should go with the Spirit. But when I look at the features, warranty, construction, and overall performance, I lean towards the Signet. I really like how the Signet heating zones can be separated, the quicker heating time, the higher temps reached, and the dual sided grates. I think these factors can make for better indirect cooking and reverse searing (new things I want to try), in addition to regular grilling. And it's made here in North America, with considerably better warranty, which are extra bonuses, but not a deciding factor - build quality and performance matter, regardless of where something is manufactured.

The Spirit also appears to be a very good entry level quality bbq, but based on everything I have been able to read, I don't think it is better that the Signet in any area, except maybe the grease management system. There is, however, the reputation and associated cache of a Weber. But on the Weber website it says this is a ‘cook with the lid down’ bbq, which may account for some of the reviews that say it has trouble getting up to and maintaining high, searing level temperatures after the lid is opened?

So, am I missing anything about the Weber? I have looked over both units extensively in the store, and I honestly believe the Signet is better built in every way. Is there another $500-range, 3-burner unit I should be considering? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

I’m not familiar with the Signet, but from your description it sounds like a good decision. While I think Weber products are among the best, the Spirit line doesn’t impress me that much.

One other option would be to watch Craigslist (or a Canadian equivalent?) for a Weber Genesis, Saber, etc. in good condition.

I would go for a Weber. Keep in mind that Weber keeps replacement parts in stock for years and years, and they have terrific customer service. As Ron suggests, keep an eye out for a used one, even if it needs some work.

Good luck!

I have the Weber Genesis and love it. :-D I have it in the Natural Gas version so i don't have to worry about refills. I'd go with the Spirit.

I've owned a Spirit E320 for a good 5.5+ years now and it's still going strong but it is garage kept and I have no complaints about how it cooks. That being said if I had to replace the Weber I'd go with the Broil King, all you have todo is lift the lid on the grill and the difference in build quality isn't close, the Broil King is a better built grill.

Last edited:
I have a ~2002 Weber Genesis Gold B that I bought new in 02. Thing still cooks like a champ and has had minimal maintenance. I put new burners on it about 2yrs ago, new grates last year. I have seen these all over the used market for well under $100, find one, buy it, and freshen it up, all the parts for it are still available. new grates, burners and valves, as long as the frame is still in good shape you could have a "new" grill for a couple hundy.

edit - and this is far from "entry level", its a damn fine grill in its own right.

Last edited:
I'd keep your eyes open on Craigslist. You very well may find a used Weber or maybe even a free one. I've found both a Performer and a low-end Holland Gas Grill for free. And without really being on the lookout for them.

Weber is pretty good about finding spare parts. Big things like burner and grates. And little things like igniter button covers.

My Genesis is a great grill. I keep a cover on it, but I don't really clean it, don't really maintain it much, and it still works great.

I had excellent service with a warranty issue on my Huntington grille ( a low end BK model). The parts came from Canada, and shipping was timely and reasonable.

I've had the Weber Spirit E320 for 6 years trouble free. Replaced the flavorizor bars and burners and grates recently. Looking forward to another 6 years of heavy use from it. The refurb cost me $127 and Weber customer service was great!

Not sure what all the talk is about with them coming up to high temp. I mostly sear steaks at high heat and it takes between 10-15 mins to hit 500-600* easily.

g5i5GbP.jpg

Good Luck!

Don't buy current gen Weber gassers. Everything up to Genesis is now Chinese made. Either get the Signet or a used older Weber.

Why not a pellet in the same price range? Able to smoke at least.

Interesting idea. Problem is, pellet grills are virtually unheard of in my neck of the woods. And in the middle of winter, I want to be able to go out, turn the gas on, and instantly fire it up. Maybe pellet grills work that easy as well - just have zero knowledge or experience with them around here. The BK has a smoker box option, which I also want to try.

I've owned a Spirit E320 for a good 5.5+ years now and it's still going strong but it is garage kept and I have no complaints about how it cooks. That being said if I had to replace the Weber I'd go with the Broil King, all you have todo is lift the lid on the grill and the difference in build quality isn't close, the Broil King is a better built grill.

That's the thing - when I looked at the 2, side by side, the BK just looked better in every way. The design of the burners seems much better, and the flavour wave system seems a lot better than the tents in the Weber.

And it has a much better warranty (lifetime on the box, 10 years on the burners).
EDIT: I take that back - partially. The Weber has a better warranty on the grills and tents.
EDIT #2: Removed 'double walls on Signet' comment. Looked again today - just appear that way. But still nice thick cast Aluminium.

Overwhelming opinion here seems to be for the Weber, but I wonder if it is partially due to the BK just not having as much exposure. It seems when folks have experience with both, they lean towards BK.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Last edited:
I have a Broil Mate, the little brother of the Broil King. Outstanding grill for probably 10 years. I don't even cover it. It sits out, it cooks food. Never done a thing to it in all that time.

I have a ~2002 Weber Genesis Gold B that I bought new in 02. Thing still cooks like a champ and has had minimal maintenance. I put new burners on it about 2yrs ago, new grates last year. I have seen these all over the used market for well under $100, find one, buy it, and freshen it up, all the parts for it are still available. new grates, burners and valves, as long as the frame is still in good shape you could have a "new" grill for a couple hundy.

edit - and this is far from "entry level", its a damn fine grill in its own right.

Fair point on the 'entry level' comment. It is pretty much the least expensive, and one of the smallest in the market of middle-tier grills. But yes, it is above 'entry level'. I could have explained that a bit better.

But I am already looking at maybe spending a bit more to get the model with the rotisserie burner. :-D

Back